System Starts, But nothing on Display

madthomas

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I have visited my cousin to see a problem, his system starts but there is no output on the Display.

He told me that after a lightning strike outside, the computer restarted, but he had no output on display.

He was using the PC at that time and was connected to the internet.

So I opened the case and checked all the parts, everything was running normal.

But after through checking I noticed a IC near the internet port was getting super hot.

WHAT WENT WRONG?

The motherboard is of ASUS.
Also the warranty expires within 2 months.
Will they repair if I say lightning caused the problem or is it better to repair locally.

Xttony

Distinguished
If it was really damaged by lightening then I think you better go and get a replacement if they replace it. Lightening would physically damage the motherboard and there is nothing you could do yourselves.
Anyway try to reset the bios and start with only one ram card and without any hard drive.
Make sure that the video cable and monitor is okay.

Oct 26, 2012
We asked one of our techs. His verdict: You might have a damaged graphics card. Use process of elimination:

• Remove the graphics card and use your onboard graphics. If that works, then the card is indeed fried.
• If that doesn’t work, put the card back, remove all but 1 stick of RAM, and try again. If that doesn’t work, try a different stick of RAM.

If none of that works, it’s time to hit up ASUS for a replacement motherboard.

madthomas

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Xttony : Anyway try to reset the bios and start with only one ram card and without any hard drive.
Make sure that the video cable and monitor is okay.

Tried that but no output.

MASTERWORKSIR: We asked one of our techs. His verdict: You might have a damaged graphics card. Use process of elimination:

He doesn't have graphics card, uses on board graphics.

OKAY I FIGURED IT OUT.

I took the motherboard to a local technician. He said the LAN IC is burnt, and suggested that I apply for warranty.

I went to the ASUS center and applied for warranty.
The personnel asked me regarding the problem, I pretended to not know anything.
He repaired it for free.

Thanks all for reply

RandomTox

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
This is from the Asus "Motherboard Limited Hardware​ Warranty Terms"
web site:

The Motherboard product line is covered under a parts and labor repair or buffer exchange warranty for hardware, manufacturing, and/or power related issues, excluding power surges and/or electrical spikes. This ASUS warranty does not include failure caused by improper installation, operation, cleaning or maintenance, accident, damage, misuse, abuse, non- ASUS modifications to the product, any software programs, normal wear and tear or any other event, act, default or omission outside ASUS’ control.

Lightning can fry all computer parts. Not just only a motherboard.
For sure it will not be repaired if you tell it happened due to lightning (see the "power surges and/or electrical spikes" part above).
Better tell them just that it stopped working and your network card is getting hot.