Sign in with
Your question

AMD build

Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2011 6:35:21 PM

okay guys, finally got a second job and my first paycheck should come in really soon :o 

i still have yet to order my CPU, RAM, or PSU. getting a GPU for my birthday so not going to ask that yet.

ram: 16gb of some sort? g.skill? most likely.
CPU: either 8120 FX or 1100T/ wont game much just alot of autocad/photoshop? so FX?
PSU: not sure. was going to get corsair 600w but when i looked into amd 6950 it has min of 550w+120w of cpu? i can get a 700w for like what 80 bucks? ill most likely do that. OCZ and corsair make good psu right?

i have gigabyte 990fxa ud3 mobo-- for christmas
also i have thermaltake armour amd edition -- for christmas.

so ready to get these parts and boot this thing right up..

will be using CD-ROM and HDD from another machine for now.. and upgrading to a ssd. will be using 2 monitors for now but will prolly find a way to buy 3 23 inch asus monitors in the future.

if everything looks good let me know. if not please let me know what i can change. just dont tell me to switch to intel.. already bought my mobo please.

oh and got windows 7 pro/ and prolly wait till 7000 series comes out to see if that drops the price on 6950s

More about : amd build

December 19, 2011 6:40:32 PM

unless yall think a 600w psu would do the job. i will order one now cause its only 50 bucks after rebate for a corsair builder one.
m
l
December 19, 2011 9:28:13 PM

8120 fx is my recommendation for your tasks and with will work effortlessly with your motherboard.
Try a antec 650w psu, goes for about $75 and it's a trusted and reliable psu
Also, 8gb of gskill or Kingston will be more than enough for the next year and a half, sve $30 and upgrade that later (2x 4gb sticks)
m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
December 19, 2011 9:58:09 PM

blakecarter said:
unless yall think a 600w psu would do the job. i will order one now cause its only 50 bucks after rebate for a corsair builder one.

The Corsair Builder Series is quite excellent. I have the 430W version that I run in an HTPC setup - for the price they are very solidly constructed, quiet, well built PSUs.

Quote:
PSU: not sure. was going to get corsair 600w but when i looked into amd 6950 it has min of 550w+120w of cpu? i can get a 700w for like what 80 bucks? ill most likely do that. OCZ and corsair make good psu right?

Stick with Corsair - OCZ is a brand that makes either really good ones or really bad ones (although their best come from their PC Power & Cooling division but the high end ones are quite pricey).

Quote:
i have gigabyte 990fxa ud3 mobo-- for christmas
also i have thermaltake armour amd edition -- for christmas.

I have that same board and it's been great so far. If you don't have the case I'd suggest switching it - Thermaltake either makes really good cases or really crappy ones, there's no in between. Try the Cooler Master HAF 912 or the Antec 300 Illusion, those would be better choices. If you can spend a bit more go with the Corsair Carbide, or Fractal Design Arc MIDI.

Quote:
CPU: either 8120 FX or 1100T/ wont game much just alot of autocad/photoshop? so FX?

Go with the 1100T - most boards won't support FX yet without a BIOS flash. Even the newest 990FX boards wont.

Quote:
will be using CD-ROM and HDD from another machine for now.. and upgrading to a ssd. will be using 2 monitors for now but will prolly find a way to buy 3 23 inch asus monitors in the future.

If you can use your old HD I would definitely advise doing so right now with the prices the way they are.

Quote:
8120 fx is my recommendation for your tasks and with will work effortlessly with your motherboard.

Actually no - if you really read the reviews on Newegg and elsewhere a lot of people even using the latest AMD boards have had issues getting the 8xxx FX to work initially - and they end up installing their old CPUs, flashing the BIOS, and then installing the new ones. But after that it works fine... :lol: 
m
l
!