Getting Cell ID

Last response: in Technologies
May 6, 2004 2:56:44 AM

Dear all

Would you please tell me how to get a cell ID of GSM network by using AT
command for GSM MODEM? I am using Siemens S45 connecting to PC running
Windows XP. Thank you.

Tim

More about : cell

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 6:59:50 PM

"Tim Leung" wrote:

> Would you please tell me how to get a cell ID of GSM network
> by using AT command for GSM MODEM? I am using Siemens S45
> connecting to PC running Windows XP. Thank you.

AT+CREG=2

and then

AT+CREG?

This should give you a result like:

+CREG: 2,1,"1030","639E"

Working through the 4 returned values, the "2" reflects the
current "+CREG" setting (2 means "Enables unexpected network
registration and location information messages"), "1" indicates
that the phone is registered with the network, "1030" is the
Location Area Code (LAC) in hex (4144 decimal), and "639E" is the
CellID (CI) in hex (25502 decimal).

If the cell name itself is being broadcast as a Cell Broadcast
message, it can be read in PDU format and decoded. Assuming
channel 50 is being used for this, the composite command to read
it is

AT+CNMI=1,0,2,0,1;+CSCB=0,"50","0-15"

The PDU results (unsolicited for each new broadcast) can be
decoded according to GSM 03.38. Please let me know if you need
further info.

John
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:11:24 PM

Dear John

Thanks for your reply
I am trying to excute it. Thank you.

Tim

"John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:c7cgo7$2b2tt$1@ID-83062.news.uni-berlin.de...
> "Tim Leung" wrote:
>
> > Would you please tell me how to get a cell ID of GSM network
> > by using AT command for GSM MODEM? I am using Siemens S45
> > connecting to PC running Windows XP. Thank you.
>
> AT+CREG=2
>
> and then
>
> AT+CREG?
>
> This should give you a result like:
>
> +CREG: 2,1,"1030","639E"
>
> Working through the 4 returned values, the "2" reflects the
> current "+CREG" setting (2 means "Enables unexpected network
> registration and location information messages"), "1" indicates
> that the phone is registered with the network, "1030" is the
> Location Area Code (LAC) in hex (4144 decimal), and "639E" is the
> CellID (CI) in hex (25502 decimal).
>
> If the cell name itself is being broadcast as a Cell Broadcast
> message, it can be read in PDU format and decoded. Assuming
> channel 50 is being used for this, the composite command to read
> it is
>
> AT+CNMI=1,0,2,0,1;+CSCB=0,"50","0-15"
>
> The PDU results (unsolicited for each new broadcast) can be
> decoded according to GSM 03.38. Please let me know if you need
> further info.
>
> John

May 7, 2004 1:21:36 AM

Thank you
I can now receive cell ID from using AT+CREG=2
then how to send broadcast SMS (PDU) in a specific cell ID so that I can
send to all handsets within the region.

for example +CREG: 2,1,"1030","639E"
how to send a broadcast message for LBC no:1030, cellID:693E?

"Tim Leung" <timleung@hknet.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:4099e52c$1@newsgate.hknet.com...
> Dear John
>
> Thanks for your reply
> I am trying to excute it. Thank you.
>
> Tim
>
> "John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
> :c7cgo7$2b2tt$1@ID-83062.news.uni-berlin.de...
> > "Tim Leung" wrote:
> >
> > > Would you please tell me how to get a cell ID of GSM network
> > > by using AT command for GSM MODEM? I am using Siemens S45
> > > connecting to PC running Windows XP. Thank you.
> >
> > AT+CREG=2
> >
> > and then
> >
> > AT+CREG?
> >
> > This should give you a result like:
> >
> > +CREG: 2,1,"1030","639E"
> >
> > Working through the 4 returned values, the "2" reflects the
> > current "+CREG" setting (2 means "Enables unexpected network
> > registration and location information messages"), "1" indicates
> > that the phone is registered with the network, "1030" is the
> > Location Area Code (LAC) in hex (4144 decimal), and "639E" is the
> > CellID (CI) in hex (25502 decimal).
> >
> > If the cell name itself is being broadcast as a Cell Broadcast
> > message, it can be read in PDU format and decoded. Assuming
> > channel 50 is being used for this, the composite command to read
> > it is
> >
> > AT+CNMI=1,0,2,0,1;+CSCB=0,"50","0-15"
> >
> > The PDU results (unsolicited for each new broadcast) can be
> > decoded according to GSM 03.38. Please let me know if you need
> > further info.
> >
> > John

Anonymous
May 7, 2004 8:16:45 AM

"Tim Leung" <timleung@hknet.com> wrote:
> I can now receive cell ID from using AT+CREG=2
> then how to send broadcast SMS (PDU) in a specific cell ID so that I
can
> send to all handsets within the region.
>
> for example +CREG: 2,1,"1030","639E"
> how to send a broadcast message for LBC no:1030, cellID:693E?

What for? Trying to set off a bunch bombs with it remotely? R. P.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 10:42:10 AM

"Tim Leung" wrote:

> Thank you
> I can now receive cell ID from using AT+CREG=2
> then how to send broadcast SMS (PDU) in a specific cell ID so
> that I can send to all handsets within the region.
>
> for example +CREG: 2,1,"1030","639E"
> how to send a broadcast message for LBC no:1030, cellID:693E?

While it's fairly trivial to receive Cell Broadcast (CB)
messages, it's going to be impossible in practice to send them.
Only the network operator can do this, and you're going to need a
huge bank balance to get them to open that door for you.

In any case, the (compliant) receiving handsets would need to be
individually configured to receive whatever CB channel your
message content gets assigned.

John
!