Desktop Build for Gaming?

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Okay so I'm about to build my first rig, I don't know if Crysis 2 is more demanding or BF3 but basically what I want is a desktop that will handle any game today, and a lot of games in the future at the best settings. So here's the parts that I've come up with, let me know if there are any problems and so on, and btw i chose these parts because they fit on my budget.

NZXT Phantom
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
Sapphire HD6950 2048 MB Size 256bit Toxic (heard that it can be switched to a 6970)
Gskill Ripjaws-X 8gb 4gbx2 DDR3 1333 CL9
Corsair 800watts
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, 32mb, WD10EALX Sata3

Can anyone also educate me on cooling this build since I haven't been able to read anything on cooling a desktop.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I wouldn't assume the 6950 could be re-flashed to a 6970. If you want 6970 levels of performance, then get a 6970. If you're happy with the 6950 performance, then it's a bonus if it can be reflashed.

That case comes with 4 fans, so you should be fine with cooling it. Make sure you have at least one fan as an intake, low on the case (front or bottom) and then have the exhausts high on the rear of the case or the top of the case. You can also have intakes on the front for the height of the case and exhausts at the rear...once you get the case you can play with it.

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I wouldn't assume the 6950 could be re-flashed to a 6970. If you want 6970 levels of performance, then get a 6970. If you're happy with the 6950 performance, then it's a bonus if it can be reflashed.

From what I've seen the 6950 toxic 2gb had a switch that you could just activate to turn it into a 6970, I might have a source for hits card which pretty hard to find, which is why I wanna make sure if they still make these and still have the switching function. The Sapphire Toxic didn't need a flash job.

Looks good. If this is your first build I wouldn't venture into trying to flash a video card BIOS. If you are dropping this much on a rig, get the card you intended. I also agree with the SSD for boot and apps. For new systems, its a worthy investment.

Also, the AMD 7900 series cards are coming out on January 9th. Not sure if you want to wait for those. It might drive the price of the 6900 cards down a little, or you can get the next best model. I think it's close enough to wait and see.

DM186

Splendid
Okay so I'm about to build my first rig, I don't know if Crysis 2 is more demanding or BF3 but basically what I want is a desktop that will handle any game today, and a lot of games in the future at the best settings. So here's the parts that I've come up with, let me know if there are any problems and so on, and btw i chose these parts because they fit on my budget.

NZXT Phantom
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
Sapphire HD6950 2048 MB Size 256bit Toxic (heard that it can be switched to a 6970)
Gskill Ripjaws-X 8gb 4gbx2 DDR3 1333 CL9
Corsair 800watts
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, 32mb, WD10EALX Sata3

Can anyone also educate me on cooling this build since I haven't been able to read anything on cooling a desktop.

I agree with the SSD and either get two 6950's or the 6970. Plus unless you are going to run resolution above 1920 x 1200 with more than one monitor then the 2GB of vram will be worthless.

Also the i7 cpu is over kill unless you plan on doing a lot hyperthreading. You will only use 30 to 40% of it while gaming. So if you cut the i7 and 2GB you should be able to get two GPU's.

I did not know this about the i7 or other wise I would have gotten the i5 2500k. I don't know anything about making a 6950 into 6970 and if you could wouldn't you be stressing that card out when you are going to OC everything?

You might look into liquid cooling for your CPU and maybe for your GPU. Just a thought. Other than that you have the makings of a fine rig. I wish you the best of luck.