Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Catalyst control center won\'t work on my computer.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2011 2:21:39 PM

Okay, so I built a new computer recently and here are my specs:
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
-Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
-GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-HIS ATI Radeon HD 5870 Turbo

Okay, so at first Catalyst control center was running fine, but then after a bunch of system updates it stopped working. I tried everything and I mean everything. I tried uninstalling all the .Net frameworking updates and those C++ updates that I've been told can interfere with CCC. I completely uninstalled all AMD/ATI software and used driversweeper to remove anything else and deleted the folders and then went into safe mode to delete that assembly code etc... The problem is that whenever I click on it the loading circles goes on my mouse and then nothing happens the processes are working in the task manager but nothing happens. I tried calling AMD and all their solutions are worthless. I tried downloading CCC seperatly from the driver and even installing an older driver(currently have 11.9). My problem is unsolvable :(  no one knows what to do or tells me to do something I already did. I'm seriously considering switching to Nvdia but the GTX 590 is too expensive and the GTX 580 is not that much better than the HD 5870. All I want to do is turn off Vsync because its locking my frames and I'm getting a solid 60 frames in blackops when I saw on tests that I should be getting max frames with my graphics card/processor. So unless there is a different software program where I can turn off Vsync there is really not much I can do but weight for an Nvdia card that I find appealing to me.
October 22, 2011 6:54:52 PM

What is your PSU brand and model? Did you check if your PSU has enough capacity for your PC? There are different sites for PSU calculator.

If your PSU is short of capacity it won't load the driver.

If you launch the Catalyst Intaller do you get any message from the screen?

I have a manual procedure to install CCC. I have visual studio on my computers and manual installation for CCC is what i use to update drivers.
Score
October 22, 2011 8:25:56 PM

I have a Coolmaster Extreme Power Plus 600W PSU. No, No messages when I try to launch CCC.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

October 22, 2011 8:56:35 PM

Assuming you don't have any hardware related issue this method always work. It works from XP to windows server OS.

Install/Un-install procedure for CCC @ command prompt environment:

Un-install ATI driver

@ Command prompt execute the following instructions

Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\Driver\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\ Driver\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –uninstall”

This will remove the current or older ATI driver on your PC. Wait for the process to complete.

The Font will get big as the OS will revert to default VGA driver. This is expected or normal just as when installing windows for the 1st time.

Reboot your machine after the completion of the process
Install ATI driver

Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\ Driver\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\ Driver\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –install – output screen”

This will install thew ATI driver on your PC. You will see DOTS on the command prompt terminal. Wait for the process to complete.

When done the ATI CCC installation log will come-up to detail the installation summary.

Reboot your machine

Configure your graphic settings when you log in.

Notes:

1) @ command prompt type ”ATIsetup.exe -?” it will give you the list options for the ATIsetup.exe installation program

2) 9-Rev is whatever revision of ATI driver you are using (i.e. 9-10).

3) Always un-install old driver before installing the new rev driver
October 22, 2011 9:59:56 PM

Also go to windows update and be sure all required and suggested updates are installed. I have had this same issue on a few builds. It always resolved when the dam windows updates were 100% done. After you remove the drivers do the updates. GL
Score
October 23, 2011 2:32:36 AM

leon2006 said:
Assuming you don't have any hardware related issue this method always work. It works from XP to windows server OS.

Install/Un-install procedure for CCC @ command prompt environment:

Un-install ATI driver

Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\Driver\BIN64 for 64 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –uninstall”

This will remove the current or older ATI driver on your PC. Wait for the process to complete.

The Font will get big as the OS will revert to default VGA driver. This is expected or normal just as when installing windows for the 1st time.

Reboot your machine after the completion of the process
Install ATI driver

Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\ Driver\BIN64 for 64 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –install – output screen”

This will install thew ATI driver on your PC. You will see DOTS on the command prompt terminal. Wait for the process to complete.

When done the ATI CCC installation log will come-up to detail the installation summary.

Reboot your machine

Configure your graphic settings when you log in.

Notes:

1) @ command prompt type ”ATIsetup.exe -?” it will give you the list options for the ATIsetup.exe installation program

2) 9-Rev is whatever revision of ATI driver you are using (i.e. 9-10).

3) Always un-install old driver before installing the new rev driver

The first command worked(but different location of files "C:\ATI\Support\11-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl\Bin64" but now when i put the atisteup.exe-uninstall(copied what you said) it asks for my permission I said yes and then nothing happens.
Score
October 23, 2011 2:36:33 AM

NVM I typed it in wrong
Score
October 23, 2011 2:39:54 AM

Oh and I just finished all those steps and it still won't work. @Dogsnake all my updates are up to date.
Score
October 23, 2011 6:07:00 PM

" I completely uninstalled all AMD/ATI software and used driversweeper to remove anything else and deleted the folders and then went into safe mode to delete that assembly code etc..." Did that already.
Score
October 23, 2011 10:19:49 PM

You might try using the individual downloads in place of the package. What version are you installing?
Score
October 23, 2011 10:39:42 PM

I already did that, and I'm installing 11.9 and I tried older versions as well, but no success.
Score
October 23, 2011 11:51:57 PM

Do you have a utility called CC Cleaner? It has a reg. cleaner and a junk file cleaner. Try running both cleaners after you do another uninstall. There is a trace file for CCC somewhere in conflict. This happens sometimes and is a real pain in the... However since you are loading the drivers ok, you can use MSI afterburner if you want to OC. You don't need CCC unless you need the other settings and features it provides.
Score
October 24, 2011 12:59:22 AM

I need to disable VSync aka turn to performance mode. I tried CC Cleaner. It failed as well.
Score
October 24, 2011 4:26:32 AM

I am having the exact same problem. Unless you are running dual monitors or something just use something like MSI Afterburner to control your fans and clock speeds until a fix is available; that's what I am doing.
Score
October 24, 2011 7:36:08 PM

What version are you using or trying to install?

Did you login as Admin?

Did you reboot after Un-install

Did you revoot after install
Score
October 24, 2011 7:43:38 PM

Yes I did Leon.
Score
October 25, 2011 12:52:47 PM

Is there an option on the bios to select between the Intel 3000 graphics and external graphics card.

How do you choose between the CPU base GPU or external graphics card? If the software is set for the Internal GPU (Intel 3000) it may not load the driver.

I'm assuming your monitor is plug on the ATI graphics card on the mother HDMI.

Check your bios

Score
October 25, 2011 1:32:20 PM

The monitor is plugged into the ATI graphics card only and I disabled the motherboard graphics as soon as I first installed the ATI graphics card driver.
Score
October 26, 2011 10:55:56 AM

mistatwista said:
Oh and I just finished all those steps and it still won't work. @Dogsnake all my updates are up to date.

CCC Manual Installation Steps:

What screen messages did you get after uninstall?

What screen messages did you get after install?

Did you see the DOTS adding/walking on the command prompt screen during driver installation. Thats the progress update. Then it creates a log file that is displayed after installation. Part of the log file will state SUCCESS or FAIL. Did you see all of this.

The driver should load unless your GPU has a hardware related defect. How old is your board?

Do you have a disc mirror software so you can save/image your drive? You may consider reinstalling the OS and see if it loads the driver. Load the latest driver. Have you updated your bios and chip set drivers?
Score
November 20, 2011 2:46:40 AM

Best answer selected by MistaTwista.
Score
!