Help with Grahics card for Inexpensive media center pc.

Zestypanda

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Don't know if this is the proper section, but I shall start off with first commending tom's hardware, when ever I have a question I would google and usually tom would show up in the first 3 results, I have been a reader of the forums for years and this is my first and not last post here. Okay, my build is a core 2 duo 2ghz 4gb ram (only 3 addressable by windows 7 pro 32bit) 128mb graphics card, my question is I am looking for an inexpensive graphics card, agp that is at least 1gb don't care if it's ati or asus or nvidia just want something inexpensive, something that can do the mediacenter brunt and maybe play some light games, I have laptop for game playing. So, I have been looking at the selection at fry's results

striker410

Distinguished
Hi! Welcome to the forums (as a member anyway ;) )

Hmm. Are you sure it's AGP and not PCI-E? I don't remember C2D ever being on AGP.

We'll assume you meant PCI-E. The best card that doesn't require an external power connector is the 6670. Can tackle games pretty well (don't expect to max BF3 but it could probably play it at medium haha) and is pretty cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131440
If that's overkill for your needs a 5570 would probably be a good deal.

Hope that gives you an answer. Cheers!

Zestypanda

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Well, yeah, and frankly the most gaming this thing might see is hl2 or chuzzles. XD But, it's good to be prepared, also do you think a core 2 duo will bottleneck the gpu?

striker410

Distinguished
Probably a good thing! NEVER install the drivers that come on a disk with the card. EVER. Those are oftentimes very old and the manufacturer has released new versions by the time you get it. ALWAYS get the newest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Zestypanda

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
If I get a new cpu, are they usually like plug n play? I mean, if install it correctly it SHOULD recognize the new cpu and work correctly? Oh, one more thing, is it compatible with 64bit windows? Because I am thinking up upgrading my 32bit to 64 so I can use all my ram, also I am trying to do this on the cheap.

Zestypanda

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
So far I have only spent $99, the computer my history teacher gave to me (that's why it's windows 7 pro) and the ram I had lying around, pretty friggin sweet for a computer that can play metro2033 on medium settings with about 29+fps :D (I tested the demo)

Zestypanda

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Funny thing regarding the drivers, my laziness actually worked out, the driver cd was stuck up under the card board insert for the box, I just now turned the insert upside down to see if I had missed anything in the box XD I look at the drivers on the cd and they are from like 7 month ago.