Should I just wait for Ivy Bridge....?

Deeyou

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I am building a super cramped mini-ITX. Currently, I have an E8500 Core2 build. I wanted to have something significantly more powerful.

Originally, I was going to put an i5 2500k but due to the thermal print..opted for the i5 2405s.

With the Ivy Bridge around the corner I can possibly have an i7 qc @ 65w TDP!!

There's a couple considerations for me to take in....

1 - I know only a couple i5 models will be released initially...slated for Q2. How much stock do you put into Intels target dates?

2 - does anybody know when the i7 Ivy's are slated to be rolled out?

And lastly.... Would I be buying first generation against my own merit? I don't care much to be a paid beta tester if you feel me..

But being the Ivy chips are almost identically priced and the gpu processing is said to be significantly faster.....I'm trying to exercise willpower. I don't want to go off impulse and get the i5-2405s just to fly in the face of my E8500 core2 and have a diminished return.

Thanks!

Solution

That's definitely the biggest question.

If the Ivy Bridge being 1155 holds true....my mobos futureproof enough...I can just slide the SB build to my sons....It's one way to beat bleeding edge tech.

I've heard multiple reports (from this site and elsewhere) that it will be 1155 and that Z68 and P67 will be able to support it with a BIOS flash.

You aren't the first to tell me you aren't exactly drinking the Ivy Bridge kool aid either.

No and after AMD's amazing disappointment with the FX/Zambezi/whatever CPUS my expectations have been really lowered...

g-unit1111

Titan
Originally, I was going to put an i5 2500k but due to the thermal print..opted for the i5 2405s.

With the Ivy Bridge around the corner I can possibly have an i7 qc @ 65w TDP!!

Don't think it's going to be possible with Mini-ITX.

1 - I know only a couple i5 models will be released initially...slated for Q2. How much stock do you put into Intels target dates?

Right now... none whatsoever. I have put stock in the rumor that Ivy Bridge will use 1155 though.

But being the Ivy chips are almost identically priced and the gpu processing is said to be significantly faster.....I'm trying to exercise willpower. I don't want to go off impulse and get the i5-2405s just to fly in the face of my E8500 core2 and have a diminished return.

Just like cars - buying a computer on impulse is never a good thing. :lol:

The Ivy chips are going to be almost identical in price and probably performance as well. Where you will notice the biggest difference between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge are the chipsets. Personally I'm not really buying into the hype about Ivy Bridge as I think it will be to SB what P55 (2nd gen i3/5/7) was to X58 (first gen i/3/5/7) - a change in architecture but not a significant performance upgrade like P55 to Sandy Bridge was. I've used a wide variety of CPUs and configurations - there's no doubt SB is some of the best Intel's ever produced. But if you're already using something comparable there's no real reason to upgrade immediately.

Deeyou

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
If the Ivy Bridge being 1155 holds true....my mobos futureproof enough...I can just slide the SB build to my sons....It's one way to beat bleeding edge tech.

You aren't the first to tell me you aren't exactly drinking the Ivy Bridge kool aid either.

One thing though, why wouldn't you think I can oull off an i7 mini-itx build? If I can put a 65w i5...it should be the same exact thing..

Granted, the i5 2405s is going to be a daunting task in itself...But I'm sure it can be done pretty efficiently.

Deeyou

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

If the ivy bridge will still be 1155 socket....than pulling the trigger on the SB is pretty trivial.....Lol...guess thats what it will be

g-unit1111

Titan

That's definitely the biggest question.

I've heard multiple reports (from this site and elsewhere) that it will be 1155 and that Z68 and P67 will be able to support it with a BIOS flash.

No and after AMD's amazing disappointment with the FX/Zambezi/whatever CPUS my expectations have been really lowered for IB as well. :lol:

One thing though, why wouldn't you think I can oull off an i7 mini-itx build? If I can put a 65w i5...it should be the same exact thing..

You could but the biggest concern I'd have certainly isn't the power consumption of a mini-ITX build but the heat distribution and air flow of mini-ITX cases and what an i7-build would generate as opposed to using an i3/i5 or G620 or lower. Not to mention using onboard video will always put a huge strain on your CPU at that, which is what most mini-ITX builds do. There's no way to tell what kind of graphics power IB will have but I'm guessing that it will be a huge improvement over the last few rounds of integrated graphics.

Solution