My fan is always super loud

brodels

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hi all... I'm new to this, so I'm sorry if this is a repost or if I sound noob. If this is a repost, can you please link me to help?

Anyway, I have a Corsair H100 liquid cooling fan on my Intel 3.4ghz 2600k, and a Z68-GD65 (MS-7681) motherboard. I recently built it and I don't use it too much, just to play HoN, Mass Effect 3, and Skyrim soon (almost done downloading!)

My fan is always super loud. When I go into the MSI control center, and go to Green Power and try lowering my CPU fan to 75% or 50%, it doesn't lower.

I should also say that my H100 came with two fans, but I only installed one of them.

If anybody knows how to lower my fan speed so that my PC can be quiet when I'm just doing normal browsing, then that would be super helpful.

Any insight would be awesome, and please let me know if you guys need anything from my end. Thanks!

mahroofali

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Probably,there will be an option to reduce fan speed. Try that. As you said it is super loud,check whether there is any problem with it. A new fan with average quality should'nt be super loud. And also,make sure the source of the noise is the fan itself. I have an old HDD which is too loud,hat it could be heard all over my home.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

You shouldn't do that, especially not if you have the room for a second fan. If you don't have the room, you shouldn't have gone with a two slot radiator in the first place. 2 fans blowing on the rad will help you keeping noise down more than just one fan could. Because those two can get more done at lower RPM than one single fan at max speed.

Anyway, get that second fan on there. The H100 has a built in fan control. It's the button in the middle of the heatsink.

If the fans at lowest setting are still to loud, replace the fans with quieter ones.