Sign in with
Your question

Problems with installing new RAM modules - Asus P7H55/USB3

Last response: in Memory
January 31, 2013 3:05:31 PM

I had 4gb of DDR3 memory in two 2gb sticks and decided to install 8gb more.
After removing the old sticks and placing the new ones the computer won't start.
It stays hanged up on BIOS splash screen, BIOS options cannot be accessed. Removing the new sticks and placing the old ones causes the computer to boot up properly.
Inserting only one new stick makes the computer go through the BIOS startup, but it projects a blue screen and resets too quickly to read it when Windows starts booting.

Current motherboard: Asus P7H55-USB3
BIOS: American Megatrends; Version 1708; Date: 12/14/2010

New memory sticks: Patriot PV38G160C9K
Old ones: Don't know the exact name
CPU-Z details: Module Size 2048MBytes,
Max Bandwidth PC3-8500F(533MHz)
Manufacturer: Patriot Memory
Part Number 1600LL Series

What could be causing the problems? Any idea how to solve them?
I'll provide additional details if they are necessary.

a b } Memory
January 31, 2013 4:30:19 PM

From the board specs: 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2000/1866/1600/1333 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
*Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. Some hyper DIMMs only support one DIMM per channel. Please refer to Memory QVL for details.
*Refer to www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

So only 4GB per RAM stick.
m
l
January 31, 2013 4:49:17 PM

alexoiu said:
From the board specs: 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2000/1866/1600/1333 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
*Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. Some hyper DIMMs only support one DIMM per channel. Please refer to Memory QVL for details.
*Refer to www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

So only 4GB per RAM stick.

Well, the sticks are 4GB each, so this shouldn't be a problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 31, 2013 5:11:45 PM

It might be a compatibility issue. Check on the Patriot site (using the configurator) the compatible kits for your board.
m
l
January 31, 2013 5:39:28 PM

alexoiu said:
It might be a compatibility issue. Check on the Patriot site (using the configurator) the compatible kits for your board.

I'm not sure if I'm using the configurator tool right. It shows me only two sets of RAM, none of which is even the old one I'm using. I tried contacting Patriot's tech support, waiting for an answer now.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 31, 2013 5:54:19 PM

Yes, contacting Patriot is the best option. If returning the RAMs, try Corsair, GSkill or Kingston. Use configurators for finding compatible kits.
m
l
January 31, 2013 5:59:20 PM

alexoiu said:
Yes, contacting Patriot is the best option. If returning the RAMs, try Corsair, GSkill or Kingston. Use configurators for finding compatible kits.

Well, I'll do it. Thanks for your time. I'll update the thread once the issue is resolved, might help someone in the future.
m
l
February 7, 2013 4:45:14 PM

UPDATE
Nothing I tried could make these RAM sticks work. I had them changed for a different model (Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R), and the new ones work fine.
m
l
!