Sign in with
Your question

HDMI through motherboard and DVI through GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2011 3:54:23 PM

I'm trying to hook my pc up to a home theater receiver so i can hear the sound when gaming and watch movies occasionally. I have a 275 GTX with 2 dvi's but that won't give me sound from my understanding. Can I use the hdmi on my motherboard while without taking too much fuss in taking out the gpu or changing bios settings each time i want to do one of the above?

im using windows 7
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2011 4:31:22 PM

Yes onboard HDMI will get disabled when using a seperate video card on most motherboards... you could consider buying longer/extra audio cables for the sound outputs of your motherboard to your reciever... along side your DVI cable... check on the "BAY" for low cost 25' or 50' audio cables/adaptors...

I have 25' DVI/HDMI cable/adaptor to my TV and a 25' stereo 1/8" cable going to my TV audio input... and my TV audio output to my Reciever... So my one TV remote will control the volume of the Audio... Works great and I have "clone" mode setup in Windows 7 and XP... Can have both Monitor and TV on seperately or together without any software or BIOS changes... Can boot with my TV display or Monitor Display... Windows doesn't care...

To get "clone" or "extended" modes in Windows... you need to get your TV "Identified" and resolution set... after that it's just turning on your TV... set your input and enjoy what ever is being displayed from your computer...
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2011 4:45:41 PM

thanks!! will SPDIF carry video as well?

does the SPDIF cable normally come with a motherboard or GPU or is it something i need to buy
m
l
October 22, 2011 4:52:41 PM

Quote:
I dont think so,

if ur card has Dual Link DVIs, u can just use a DVI-HDMi adapter

i have an hdmi run through the wall already..but if i get an adaptor, I still need audio correct? the dvi port won't transmit that, right?

do cards normally come with that adaptor? i know they normally come with a bunch of adaptors but can't locate my box yet =/
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2011 5:02:37 PM

the GTX 275 can do it...for crying out loud, does anybody read posted url's anymore?

your 275 has a 2 header pin that connects in tandem with your mobo's onboard audio panel

more here

Quote:
It's the SPDIF output on the motherboard that you need to connect to the card, so check if your board has one.

but there is one BIG issue here, we need to know if the OP's mobo can support this - his card can do it for sure but the mobo has to have the proper connectors to hook into the 2 pins on the GTX 275 which leads me to ask - what are your system specs please?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2011 7:03:55 PM

Hello... You can WIKIPEDIA any type of connector types and pinouts such as HDMI-DVI-SPDIF... but it also depends on the wiring and operation with your motherboard/Video card... The DVI standard is not designed to carry AUDIO signals... so getting the proper adaptor to connect your video card AUDIO to HDMI, THRU DVI might take some research, trial and error, and/or a special adaptor $$$... I have not done this...

I chose the simple "run a cheap, easy audio cable to my TV" approach... with parts from the "BAY"...

in your case... video card DVI to wall HDMI, Wall HDMI to HDMI TV for video... Long 1/8" stereo audio cable to TV audio input or Audio Reciever and JOB DONE!!!
m
l
October 23, 2011 1:49:54 AM

my card is a bgtech 275 gtx
motherboard is asus m4a785-M

prefer to not run another wire for audio if possible (have 4 speaker wires an ethernet and dvi behing my molding already.)

do you think this might do the trick? i'm not at all familiar with dual link so im not sure to look for dvi-d or dvi-i
http://www.amazon.com/DVI-D-Dual-Link-Female-Adapter/dp...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 5:23:19 AM

@ flamigoman - go here - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/#s...

and you'll notice this - 1 x S/PDIF Out connector (if you scroll down to I/O connectors list of connectors) so thats the header you'll need. find a 2 pin wire that will go into your GTX 275. once you've established the sound out into your card - you can get a DVI-HDMI dongle and then have the sound pass through with video to your audio system/tv.

Edit; just noticed the dongle link you posted - yeah that'd do!

if you think all this is a hastle then going the "cheap audio cable" route is the best as you can connect it via jacks from source to display device.

more to look at if going HDMI route;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252602
http://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-Cable-Pin-Sound-Card/dp/B00...

aha! this is what you need!
http://www.amazon.com/CBSPIDIF2-2-pin-Internal-Digital-...
m
l
October 23, 2011 3:36:37 PM

thanks so much!!

should i favor dvi-i over dvi-d, or does it not matter?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 3:57:00 PM

read through this and it'll teach you everything you need to know...
m
l
October 24, 2011 11:47:36 PM

got the cables hooked up. I'm getting video fine, but no audio. Is there a setting change required for the sound to pass through the dvi/hdmi
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:10:10 AM

yes, i figured it out..just needed to change a default setting in sound portion of control panel.

next issue..can i view on my computer screen and have just audio travel to my audio receiver? my screen just shows my windows background, while i use my tv as the monitor..i prefer to use pc monitor for video for gaming
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2011 12:21:36 AM

all that hassle - you could go with a two monitor setup and identify which one is which - but for the sound thingy - the initial advice i gave of running the old fashioned cables from audio card to sound device was the best option...all this time and effort... :/ 
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:47:37 PM

it can play on both screens at once so long as the audio still passes when the tv is off. im going to do some testing later on. don't know if its possible to pass video through one dvi port and sound through the other on my gpu
m
l
!