Vibration freezes motherboard

Inti

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I own a p67 deluxe, it is overclocked to 4.1 Mhz, water cooled. It works solid rock. However, when I accidentally bump into the case (this has happened four or five times in the last few years), PC freezes badly. Windows stops responding and I have to press the power button until system shuts down. If I want to boot up afterwards, PC is powered up, but there is no post screen, no beeps, no nothing.

Afterwards, I need to take the board battery out and move the jumper to "clear CMOS" position. After an ordeal of frustration and shock, I learned I need to wait many hours for the system to recover, perhaps over 12 hours leaving the system overnight.

I am a pretty clumsy guy so I try to keep the PC case out of harm's way, but once in a while I find myself in collision course to my beloved rig. Each time I hit it, it frozes and I require to go through the whole ritual again.

Has anybody suffered similar conditions? Is it normal for the system to take almost 24 hours to clear a CMOS back to normal? In my case it is not true it will take "5-10 seconds" as it is stated in the manual. Why is it that the slightest vibration turns my system into a hard pice of frozen circuitry?

Cheers,

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Sounds like a dry-joint (a component that hasn't been properly soldered on the motherboard) & very difficult to trace. You can drain/clear CMOS in seconds with a short-circuit but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the correct jumper and know how. Check your user manual.

Best to not knock the PC once you have set it up - A high shelf maybe?