Solved

Which power supply best for me ? (Also CPU cooler)

In early June, I will to buying new components for my computer. Before I deciding buying new component, I want to buy power supply for new component. Component to be purchased in June bellow are:
- Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3 GHz or Core i5 2400 3.1 GHz
- ASUS P8Z68-V LE or ASUS P8H67-M LX
- Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB DDR3 Memory

But I also owning some component which I bought it previously:
- Seagate Barracuda 500 GB Hard Drive
- Samsung DVD-RW Drive
- Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Current component:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2 GHz
- ASUS P5KPL-AM SE
- 2 GB DDR2 RAM (will be upgraded to 4 GB)

Which power supply best for me for value ? Are 650 W good enough for me ?

And not forget, I want to buying the aftermarket cooler for my CPU under US$30. Maybe Cooler Master, Thermaltake, XIGMATEK, or Zalman. Which CPU cooler are best for me for my computer?

P.S: Sorry for my bad English, I was too tired for writing it.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which power supply also cooler
  1. For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    For a system using two GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.
  2. Yeah, but what power supply best for me for value ? Like Thermaltake, Corsair, or what ?
  3. Coarsair, antec, seasonic, and xfx are four very good brands.
  4. Alright, I choose Corsair. Is GS800 was good for me for future SLI upgrade ? (Add another GTX 550 Ti for SLI). Oh yeah, I got missing. ASUS P8Z68-V should been purchased in early June.
  5. That's a good PSU for you and future sli upgrade.
  6. frenzyvanrafi said:
    Alright, I choose Corsair. Is GS800 was good for me for future SLI upgrade ? (Add another GTX 550 Ti for SLI). Oh yeah, I got missing. ASUS P8Z68-V should been purchased in early June.

    As far as Corsair goes the TXV2 line is higher quality then the GS line.
    A TX650 V2 is more then enough for GTX 550 Ti SLI.
    CM 212+ or EVO cooler.
  7. davcon said:
    As far as Corsair goes the TXV2 line is higher quality then the GS line.
    A TX650 V2 is more then enough for GTX 550 Ti SLI.
    CM 212+ or EVO cooler.

    You right, but it can handling the aftermarket GPU cooler ? But actually, 650 W was good enough for me
  8. UPDATE: My PSU was damaged after power outage, I want to buy PSU next month. Is Corsair GS600 enough for future SLI upgrade? If not, find power supply which the wattage is 700 W and very affordable price for SLI upgrade.
  9. UPDATE: My PSU was damaged after power outage, I want to buy PSU next month. Is Corsair GS600 enough for future SLI upgrade? If not, find power supply which the wattage is 700 W and very affordable price for SLI upgrade.
  10. Best answer
    frenzyvanrafi said:
    UPDATE: My PSU was damaged after power outage, I want to buy PSU next month. Is Corsair GS600 enough for future SLI upgrade? If not, find power supply which the wattage is 700 W and very affordable price for SLI upgrade.

    For a system using two GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 (CMPSU-600G), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 550 Ti in 2-way SLI mode.
  11. Is can handling the aftermarket GPU cooler? Because I saw the aftermarket GPU cooler has power usage 200W (Arctic Cooling MonoBlock Plus II).
  12. The 200W that you saw is cooling capacity not power usage. Cooling capacity means that it can dissipate 200W worth of heat in a set period of time. The only thing that will use power on that cooler is the fan and it will only use 1-2W. To answer your question...yes the GS600 can also handle the upgraded GPU cooler.
  13. Rugger said:
    The 200W that you saw is cooling capacity not power usage. Cooling capacity means that it can dissipate 200W worth of heat in a set period of time. The only thing that will use power on that cooler is the fan and it will only use 1-2W. To answer your question...yes the GS600 can also handle the upgraded GPU cooler.


    Thanks for explaining me about cooling capacity. Because initially I think cooling capacity is power usage because it has a wattage so I become confused.
  14. Best answer selected by frenzyvanrafi.
  15. frenzyvanrafi said:
    Thanks for explaining me about cooling capacity. Because initially I think cooling capacity is power usage because it has a wattage so I become confused.

    No problem - enjoy your new parts!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product