Solved

Is this PSU good enough?

Just bought everything for a new build. Items are:

Intel Core i5-2400
Asus P8V68-V/Gen3
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4GB)
Asus Radeon HD 6870
Antec Basiq 500w

I was really hoping I could afford a better PSU in this build but I just couldn't. At least I went with Antec, right? Well, my question is this- is the PSU sufficient enough to push the 6870? I'm waiting til morning to install everything, but if you guys don't think this PSU will get the job done then I will return it. I really DO NOT want to spend more than what I did on this, but if I must for the safety of my card, I will.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good enough
  1. For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Antec Basiq Series 500 Watt (BP500U), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 29 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is borderline sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 6870. You will need to use a dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCIe adapter for the second 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector on the graphics card.

There's no spare capacity available on that power supply to do any overclocking.
  2. The Antec Basiq is their "Builder" (read "budget") line. It will serve your needs but I wouldn't be overclocking the CPU or GFX card with that PSU.
  3. Thank you both for your responses. I prefer to shop in-person rather than online, so I don't have access to a lot of different brands. Which Antec or Corsair PSU would you recommend to power my card? I know underclocking can cause a GPU failure and I would hate to be stuck dealing with an RMA for a month with no system.
  4. The TX650 has better Amperage on its 12v rail.
  5. Best answer
    bsullivan1983 said:

The CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 would be my recommendation. It's more than enough to power a system with a single Radeon HD 6870 and handle any overclocking you may want to perform.

It has a 5 Year warranty verses the Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green's 3 Year warranty.
  6. Awesome! Thanks so much for the help. Now I just hope this $1100 build fixes my SW:TOR lag.... :) Have a good one!
  7. azeem40 said:
    The TX650 has better Amperage on its 12v rail.

The Antec EarthWatts Green Series 750W (EA-750 Green) has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62.5 Amps so how is that worse amperage than the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2's combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps?
  8. Best answer selected by bsullivan1983.
  9. Didn't have the standard TX650, so I picked up the TX650M. From what I read, it isn't fully modular, but this is the only 650w Corsair they had. I hope it does the job as per your recommendation KO. Picked up a CM HAF 922 as well. Pray this build goes well and it lasts me a good 3 years :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product