Aiming for a pc under $700

AlwaysNoob

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hi, all. Please advice. I posted another configuration several weeks ago but have since had time to look into this again...

Approximate Purchase Date: before year ends

Budget Range: $700, after tax, etc.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: photoshop, 3dstudio, gaming, video editing, and general usage

Parts Not Required: Speakers, keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: n/a

Overclocking: No... maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Decent for photoshop, etc.

Additional Comments: Something quiet would be nice, and something that will last me 3 to 5 years before I have to redo this whole building a computer again.

Do I need to invest in a video card for some light gaming of some recently released gems?

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
the HD2000 on the i5 2400 can handle casual gaming needs, basicly think of ipad games and maybe a bit more, anything heaver games it can't run decent enough. Here is the link of the review.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-7.html

also OS? you didn't mention if you need it or not.

cost saving wise, you can go with a h67 board like intel BOXDH67BLB3. It will save you about $25. The difference between h67 and z68 are:
no overclocking, 2400 can't overclock anyway
no quick response, that a SSD related technology and the main difference,
and its an micro atx board which means less pci-e slot, you don't need that many unless you got lot of addon card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506

AlwaysNoob

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hey guys, thanks for the help! I forgot all about the OS, lol. Well, I guess that's an extra hundred dollar there.

Bear95, I've decided to take on your advice on the psu. Zhihao50, thanks for the suggestions... I'm still deciding on what to do. I am looking for some decent graphics card right now.

Anyways, thanks.