Computer doesn't boot when I swapping the processor

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
This is my experience about CPU, when I change the CPU on my computer with the same processor (E4500), the computer doesn't boot and it show black screen. The same experience I try swap the Pentium III to Pentium II from another old computer on HP Vectra VL600, it only showing black screen only but Pentium III CPU also working fine on Pentium II computer.

If you are confused, here the story line step-by-step:
1. My motherboard are ASUS P5KPL-AM SE and default CPU are Core 2 Duo E4500. And it working fine
2. I change the CPU on my computer with same processor (Core 2 Duo E4500), then it won't booting up.

Question:
Is CPU making the computer doesn't boot up or the motherboard was degraded ?

4745454b

Titan
To answer your question about the 4500, how do you know it was the CPU that died? Unless you were OCing its more likely the board died then the CPU.

Similar situation for the P3 vs P2. Except that you also need to add in the possibility of incorrect jumper settings. Many boards back then used jumpers to set the multiplier and FSB. If they were set higher then what the P2 could handle it won't boot.

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
The settings on old PII computer was too complicated, I can't see the jumper instead there's the bunch of small switch which I can't setting it.

The E4500 was never been overclocked since it formerly used for cybercafe

TRENDING THREADS