Custom build. Please critique!

banalanal

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Please critique my custom build I'm having put together by a local shop!

Intel Core i7 2600K
MSI Z68A-G43 Atx Motherboard with Intel Z68 chipset
8gb ram
500gb sata-III 7200rpm
80GB SSD (Intel 320 Series)
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1GB Video Card (2 x DVI-D Dual Link, 1 x HDMI)
650W Power Supply
12cm Front Cooling Fan

Basically I want something fast and quiet. I have two monitors (30" 2560x1600 and 24"vga). I have a large database app that I want the system to power through. I don't game but I use it 10 hours a day. Any general upgrades or suggestions?

G

What is your budget?
How much are you paying for this?

That graphics card is old. Get a 6850. Should be only slightly more expensive.
You might want to consider getting a slightly better motherboard.
You don't need a 2600k. Get a 2500k.

banalanal

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Well the quote on this machine is 1500$ or so. My budget is under 1800$. Who makes the 6850? ATI? Suggestions on a slighlty better motherboard? (I'm a bit of a noob:) Thanks for the input.

G

You are spending WAY too much for these parts.... WAY too much. Definately this could be less than $1000. Seriously consider building it yourself. Don't worry about being a noob. Tons of people here would likely help you.

G

Honestly I don't get how stores like that are able to make business selling pcs at those prices.... I'm trying selling my own pc for less than $300 than ones at MANY local stores and nil.... I've got no luck T.T

cbrunnem

Distinguished
yeah thats a travesty of a price. build it yourself, there is nothing more difficult in building one then reading directions. its pretty fool proof and many people think that it is not for the average people to do but in reality there should be no professionals to do this type of stuff cause its not a hard thing to do.

dont listen to the people that are going to recommend a 2500k if you use programs that will take advantage of as many cores as possible which you act like thats what you have. i also recommend a better gpu but for any other recommendation what is going to be the main program you use so that i can get a better understanding of what you need.

G

Absurd... especially the graphics... just google something like 560ti or gtx580 which cost around $220 and $500 respectively but they are charging $320 and $640.

G

well looking at his initial specs with a gtx 450 I didn't think the budget was that high. MAX $900. Which is why I recommended 2500k rather an a 2600k for that budget range.

banalanal

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hmm it is Canadian... and charging for labour, but yeah inflated prices. Recommend where I should buy online a machine for better value to my budget with quality? That shop is local which is worth a 15% premium or something to me personally. And I just have no desire to learn to build one and order the parts. I'm in a small town 3 hours from that website shop where I have no computer stores, no desire to build me own.

G

:(

G

I would say its better but still not good. One thing to note about that pc is that its using 4x2gb. Meaning that you are using up ALL the ram slots and any future ram upgrades will require you to throw out a couple. 2gb ram is old. 4gb is standard now.

banalanal

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hmm lol. I just don't see anything in prebuilt out there that fits into the quality and price I've mentioned. Maybe the original, paying a bit of a premium for local service is worth it...

Okay, back on the original.. is there anything else I should change for speed, quality, a machine to last and upgradable down the road, and as quiet as the Dell xps 9100 I'm currently using?

G

Get the ssd upgrade. You'll be gaining free money I think >.< . Get the 650w psu. Get the 560 ti. That's it...

May I jump in?

How about you buy the parts yourself and pay someone to put it together?

You want a quiet powerful machine, is that right?

Here is a full parts list:

Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 and 3 x Fractal High Performance 140mm fans
VERY quiet case with good features including front USB
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Suitable storage device
XFX HD-657X-ZNFQ Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Dual DVI video card
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
More than enough power, very quiet PSU from the top PSU maker.
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995
Dependable RAM at a good price
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Adequate board for your needs. Some overclocking potential.
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
About the quietest air CPU cooler.
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit
Big reliable SSD for your OS and programs, with enough space that you won't have to think about it.
TOTAL: $1,426.90

Then you can spend a few hundred to have some professional build it.
OR
Build it yourself
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

G

Are you overclocking? If you are the mobo upgrade is essential. If not, they are all the same.

G

YES, two pandas dies every time a mac product is bought and a panda dies for every other pc product bought but a panda is born every time a pc is built. It requires work but it brings joy and happiness and new experiences.