Crazy Power/Motherboard/HDD failure. Need help please!

Kraka

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Ok so here's my issue. I built this computer about 6 months ago, periodically updating Ram and adding a SSD. Everything has worked like a charm. Even the install of Windows 8 went without a hiccup.

Today, I turned my computer on in the morning without a problem and used it for a while before going to class. There was no sign that anything was wrong. When I got back from class my computer was off. Thinking that was strange I tried to turn it back on. Nothing happened. I checked to see that the power was in etc. but nothing seemed out of place. Worried, I opened the computer and started looking around. After a few more times pressing the power button on the case I was able to get the power light on but nothing else. The fans, CPU, GPU, HDD's, everything else was not power up. I initially thought my PSU might have died and went and borrowed my friends. I unplugged my GPU and too out my RAM as well. That didn't work, however when I replugged my PSU in and tried to turn on the computer again, it started up.

Awesome right? Nope. For some reason, the computer was only recognizing my SSD and not my secondary HDD. I went into the bios to see if it was just windows that was being difficult but the bios was not recognizing it either. I reset the cmos on my mobo and re installed the mobo drivers. Still couldn't find the HDD. I tried switching the SATA cables and ports that the HDD was connected to but no dice. I think I might have somehow fried my HDD because it doesn't sound like the disk starts spinning on startup. So, residing myself to the fact that I had destroyed my HDD, I put the computer back together and re-inserted my 2 monitor (1xHDMI, 1xDVI) into the GPU (had been running off the mobo graphics up until now) and started it up.

On startup, windows 8 said there was a problem and I had to restore to a previous point which I proceeded to do. Once I clicked restore however, my computer just shut down and wouldn't start anymore (same problem I began with). I took out my GPU and unplugged the power/held the power button down for 30 sec and the computer was able to start up again.

Does anyone know what is going on? I don't think it's a PSU issue. It could be the GPU but I haven't been having any problems to date. Maybe the Mobo? Any help would be extremely useful. Thanks!

My specs:
Intel 15 3570K
Nvidia 5670Ti 448 cores
ASRock Pro 4
Samsung 830
Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb 7200 RPM
16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RAM
Thermaltake 750 W Modular PSU

Thanks again for any help!

Kraka

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I think I might have found why the problem started in the first place. I changed the sleep settings and turned off hybrid sleep (Windows 8). This was right before the initial crash. I don't know how that could have killed my HDD but I'm going to try and turn it back on and see the results.