Nintendo Revolution will use MoSys 1T-SRAM. any advantage?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4846

(read the article there, it is *not* pasted below)

Revolution is apparently going to be released in mid 2006. it will be using
MoSys 1T-SRAM for memory, like the Gamecube.

it seems that Elpida lost out on the Revolution RAM deal.

Elpida is a major provider of RAM. they're one of the RAM providers of
Rambus XDR memory for the upcoming PlayStation3.

MoSys was first selected by Nintendo in the late 1990s to make the RAM for
Dolphin (Gamecube) because of their special low-latency (fast) 1T-SRAM.

It seems Nintendo liked it enough to keep MoSys in on the successor system.

now lets hope that there is *enough* RAM in -Revolution- to make developers
happy.

It was revealed at Nintendo's Spaceworld 2000 show in Japan that the amount
of RAM in Gamecube was cut dramatically, compared to how much it was
originally supposed to have when the system was called Project Dolphin.

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1333687339#post1333687339

"okay, you probably don't know or remember this, but, back in 1999 and upto
August 2000, the Nintendo Dolphin, which ARTX was the central hardware
developer of, was supposed to get 8 MB to 16 MB of embedded 1T-SRAM on that
Flipper GPU -- but by Spaceworld in Aug 2000, that amount was cut to 3.12
MB.

(the main system memory was changed from 32~64 MB of NEC DRAM to 24 MB of
MoSys 1T-SRAM)

Now we learn that MoSys is again back with Nintendo for the Gamecube's
successor, the Revolution. there is almost no doubt that ATI West Coast, the
Silicon Valley design center in Santa Clara, CA is working with MoSys and
NEC to embedded some next generation 1T-SRAM onto Revolution's GPU,
codenamed 'Hollywood'.

how much baby, that is the question! "

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

oh... I meant to say "last decades news"

"nintendog" <nintendogs@revolution.com> wrote in message
> http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4846
>
> (read the article there, it is *not* pasted below)
>
> Revolution is apparently going to be released in mid 2006. it will be
using
> MoSys 1T-SRAM for memory, like the Gamecube.

Whether a system from Nintendo (or anyone else) can claim an "advantage"
depends on the quality of games released for it.

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 nintendog <nintendogs@revolution.com> wrote:
> http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4846

> (read the article there, it is *not* pasted below)

> Revolution is apparently going to be released in mid 2006. it will be using
> MoSys 1T-SRAM for memory, like the Gamecube.

Does it really matter what sort of memory is being used? I mean, we
aren't talking about a standard PC here... So will this memory allow GC
to run at higher resolutions like XBox360? (that's one big area I think
Nintendo blew it with GCN - no commercially available component video
kits!) Better anti-aliasing? More pixels for Mario's over-sized nose?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

And what makes a console different from a PC other than the fact that
the hardware is not standardized and that it runs a low level OS rather
than one you interact and manipulate with? Same basic architeture. RAM
can make a significant difference when it comes to performance, just as
with a PC.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 nintendog
<nintendogs@revolution.com> wrote:
> > http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4846
>
> > (read the article there, it is *not* pasted below)
>
> > Revolution is apparently going to be released in mid 2006. it will
be using
> > MoSys 1T-SRAM for memory, like the Gamecube.
>
> Does it really matter what sort of memory is being used? I mean, we
> aren't talking about a standard PC here... So will this memory allow
GC
> to run at higher resolutions like XBox360? (that's one big area I
think
> Nintendo blew it with GCN - no commercially available component video

> kits!) Better anti-aliasing? More pixels for Mario's over-sized
nose?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I certainly did not realize that the paragraph I quoted entailed so
many things. My mere point is that developers will think closely what
RAM to use in the consoles. Does it matter to you? Probably not, but
then it probably also doesn't matter to you what kind of RAM is in your
PC. I agree that overall performance is what most people will see in
the end.

Your assumption that a console is a close system is wrong though. While
a console is not designed to be expanded, it very well can be expanded,
though most people would call this modding or hacking. For example,
consoles fall very much under the same hardware standards set by ISO or
ITU as PCs do. They use standard communication protocols among hardware
components and while physical connectors may differ their purpose is
the same. Indeed, with some expertise you could even "upgrade" your
washer and dryer MCU, though the benifits would of course be marginal
to zero. However, even the smallest MCUs work in much the same manner
as everything on your PC motherboard does.

Anyway, carry on...

<cwinter@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And what makes a console different from a PC other than the fact
that
> > the hardware is not standardized and that it runs a low level OS
rather
> > than one you interact and manipulate with? Same basic architeture.
RAM
> > can make a significant difference when it comes to performance,
just as
> > with a PC.
>
> While you are correct in that a PC and a console have a lot of
hardware in
> common, their purposes are very different.
>
> A PC is an open, general purpose device - more like a car. You can
tweak
> its performance by choosing your parts and software carefully.
>
> A console, however, has only one purpose - to play games. Unlike a
PC,
> you cannot open it up and start swapping parts in or out to enhance
its
> performance. A console is an appliance - it was designed to only do
one
> thing - and do it well. It's like your toaster.
>
> Now I don't know about you, but I don't decide which appliances to
buy
> based on their processors or RAM. I only care that the thing does
the
> job it was designed to do - be it toast my bread, or play games.
>
> Now, I know from an architecture point of view, the amount and specs
of the
> memory used will affect the console's overall performance. But none
of
> that really matters if the thing doesn't play interesting games.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

That's the funnies thing I've seen in a while. Because women do not
like the look of the XBOX 360 (who says that anyway?) and because they
hold the strings of the purse (maybe you oughta not marry or think
divorce), the XBOX 360 will fail as the center of the home
entertainment system.

Sounds scientifically sound to me...

Jim Campey wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:47:18 -0000, Doug Jacobs
> <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>
> >As for Sony and Microsoft, they've both made grandiose speeches
about how
> >their console would be the center of your home entertainment unit,
>
> The problem with their vision is that they've fu**ed the whole idea
up
> by making it white (allegedly). If they truly wanted the Xbox360 to
be
> "the centre of your home entertainment" then they should have made it
> black or silver, to blend in with the rest of today's multimedia
> equipment.
>
> Like it or not, in the majority of households the women choose the
> decor. I can't see many women choosing a white box as "the centre of
> (their) home entertainment" :)
>
> What it does is important to the majority of men, what it looks like
> is important to the majority of women (who usually hold the purse
> strings <lol>)
>
> Apologies for the sexist (but true) statements ;)
>
> --
> Jim
>
> \\// ||) //\\ \\//
> GT: HedCase
> //\\ ||) \\// //\\
>

> And if one bad cluster should accidentally fail...

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <1182etlorvm60c2@corp.supernews.com>, nightsky421@yahoo.ca
says...
> "nintendog" <nintendogs@revolution.com> wrote in message
> > http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4846
> >
> > (read the article there, it is *not* pasted below)
> >
> > Revolution is apparently going to be released in mid 2006. it will be
> using
> > MoSys 1T-SRAM for memory, like the Gamecube.
> >

> Whether a system from Nintendo (or anyone else) can claim an "advantage"
> depends on the quality of games released for it.

not anymore when these consoles are becoming media centers.

Fish! - of Arcadia. wrote:
> In article <1182etlorvm60c2@corp.supernews.com>, nightsky421@yahoo.ca
> says...
>
>>"nintendog" <nintendogs@revolution.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4846
>>>
>>>(read the article there, it is *not* pasted below)
>>>
>>>Revolution is apparently going to be released in mid 2006. it will be
>>
>>using
>>
>>>MoSys 1T-SRAM for memory, like the Gamecube.
>>>

>>Whether a system from Nintendo (or anyone else) can claim an "advantage"
>>depends on the quality of games released for it.
>>

> not anymore when these consoles are becoming media centers.

Those types of things are secondary, the main focus is the games. That
is what people buy them for. Best games, best console...

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

For what reason is a mystery though. Do they want their games to run
really really fast? Especailly the older consoles, just like old
computers, rely heavily on the clock.

Fred Liken wrote:
> People overclock Segas and Nintendos.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

I am not sure if this seems reasonable. From my understanding the NES
creates a vertical blank every 8 pixes, which is generated by the MCU.
Hence, overclocking will increase the frequency at which it does this
and should hence speed up games that normally ran fine. Of course, this
does entail what you said, that otherwise laggy games would speed up.

In article <4281715D.8040608@massivegrooves.net>,
massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

> Fish! - of Arcadia. wrote:
> > In article <1182etlorvm60c2@corp.supernews.com>, nightsky421@yahoo.ca
> > says...
> >
> >>"nintendog" <nintendogs@revolution.com> wrote in message

> >>using

> >>Whether a system from Nintendo (or anyone else) can claim an "advantage"
> >>depends on the quality of games released for it.
> >>

> > not anymore when these consoles are becoming media centers.
>
> Those types of things are secondary, the main focus is the games. That
> is what people buy them for. Best games, best console...

best change your way of thinking.

Fish! - of Arcadia. wrote:
> In article <4281715D.8040608@massivegrooves.net>,
> massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...
>

>>Fish! - of Arcadia. wrote:
>>
>>>In article <1182etlorvm60c2@corp.supernews.com>, nightsky421@yahoo.ca
>>>says...

>>>not anymore when these consoles are becoming media centers.
>>
>>Those types of things are secondary, the main focus is the games. That
>>is what people buy them for. Best games, best console...
>>

> best change your way of thinking.

And why is that?!?

In article <428182FF.50108@massivegrooves.net>,
massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

> Fish! - of Arcadia. wrote:
> > In article <4281715D.8040608@massivegrooves.net>,
> > massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

> >>Those types of things are secondary, the main focus is the games. That
> >>is what people buy them for. Best games, best console...
> >>

> > best change your way of thinking.
>
> And why is that?!?

Because the assumption that a console is all about games is wrong.

"Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
> In article <428182FF.50108@massivegrooves.net>,
> massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...
>>

>> Fish! - of Arcadia. wrote:
>> > In article <4281715D.8040608@massivegrooves.net>,
>> > massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

>> > best change your way of thinking.
>>
>> And why is that?!?
>>

> Because the assumption that a console is all about games is wrong.

That is all it is about for me, I have never watched a DVD on my PS2, why?
Because it isn't for watching movies, I have a DVD player and a VCR for
that, the PS2 is for games plain and simple, if I owned an Xbox it would be
the same way. There is no way a console is ever going to do anything better
than another device other than play video games.

"Daniel G." <Danny73@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
> > In article <428182FF.50108@massivegrooves.net>,
> > massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

nightsky421@yahoo.ca

That

> >> And why is that?!?
> >>

> > Because the assumption that a console is all about games is wrong.
>
> That is all it is about for me, I have never watched a DVD on my PS2, why?
> Because it isn't for watching movies, I have a DVD player and a VCR for
> that, the PS2 is for games plain and simple, if I owned an Xbox it would
be
> the same way. There is no way a console is ever going to do anything
better
> than another device other than play video games.

I have the same opinion as you, but then that is just our opinions. There
are many people I know who bought a PS2 because it could play DVD's as
well - this was a major selling point for them. There are people who dont
see the point in spending extra money to have a standalone DVD player, or
whatever other standalone piece of hardware the console in question is
substituting for. I would probably say the majority of people think that
way, especially the younger generation who cannot afford to buy multiple
pieces of home entertainment hardware.

m0ns00n

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

>"Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Fred Liken wrote:
>>
>> Not true. They [NES/GEN] rely on the vertical blank, not the clock,
> for
>> game speed. It doesn't speed up the game beyond that, but it keeps
> it from
>> taking multiple blanks to render, therefore eliminating slow down,
> etc.
>>
>> It makes otherwise laggy games run perfect.

>I am not sure if this seems reasonable. From my understanding the NES
> creates a vertical blank every 8 pixes, which is generated by the MCU.

The PPU handles the vertical blank throttling, not the CPU. Overclocking
the CPU won't change the vertical blank rate. It's perfectly "reasonable".

> Hence, overclocking will increase the frequency at which it does this
> and should hence speed up games that normally ran fine.

No, overclocking the CPU will not affect the game speed when the CPU is
waiting on the PPU. Overclocking the CPU, though, eliminates the instances
where the PPU is waiting on the CPU.

> Of course, this
> does entail what you said, that otherwise laggy games would speed up.

That's about all it does, except on the NES it does raise the pitch of the
sound effects, IIRC, because the NES uses the CPU for sound processing.

m0ns00n wrote:
> "Daniel G." <Danny73@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>In article <428182FF.50108@massivegrooves.net>,
>>>massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

> nightsky421@yahoo.ca

> will

> That

>>>Because the assumption that a console is all about games is wrong.
>>
>>That is all it is about for me, I have never watched a DVD on my PS2, why?
>>Because it isn't for watching movies, I have a DVD player and a VCR for
>>that, the PS2 is for games plain and simple, if I owned an Xbox it would
>
> be
>
>>the same way. There is no way a console is ever going to do anything
>
> better
>
>>than another device other than play video games.
>>

> I have the same opinion as you, but then that is just our opinions. There
> are many people I know who bought a PS2 because it could play DVD's as
> well - this was a major selling point for them. There are people who dont
> see the point in spending extra money to have a standalone DVD player, or
> whatever other standalone piece of hardware the console in question is
> substituting for. I would probably say the majority of people think that
> way, especially the younger generation who cannot afford to buy multiple
> pieces of home entertainment hardware.
>
> m0ns00n

Early on when the PS2 came out it made some sense to buy and use it for
the DVD function also as the price of DVD players was still up there.
Now it doesn't as you can get a DVD player for as little as $30 or less.

We are headed towards having all in one type media
centers/PC/gaming?etc.. unit for everything. It is still a little ways
off though before that really takes off and gets perfected.

In article <d9KdnUHm7cUnAxzfRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com>, Danny73
@columbus.rr.com says...

> "Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
> > In article <428182FF.50108@massivegrooves.net>,
> > massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

> >> And why is that?!?
> >>

> > Because the assumption that a console is all about games is wrong.
>
> That is all it is about for me, I have never watched a DVD on my PS2, why?
> Because it isn't for watching movies, I have a DVD player and a VCR for
> that, the PS2 is for games plain and simple, if I owned an Xbox it would be
> the same way. There is no way a console is ever going to do anything better
> than another device other than play video games.

Then you haven't played with XBMC and are missing out on easily the best
multimedia system out there (for the price).

You'll eventually change your mind.

> In article <d9KdnUHm7cUnAxzfRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com>, Danny73
> @columbus.rr.com says...
>>
>> "Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
>> > In article <428182FF.50108@massivegrooves.net>,
>> > massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

>> > Because the assumption that a console is all about games is wrong.
>>
>> That is all it is about for me, I have never watched a DVD on my PS2,
>> why?
>> Because it isn't for watching movies, I have a DVD player and a VCR for
>> that, the PS2 is for games plain and simple, if I owned an Xbox it would
>> be
>> the same way. There is no way a console is ever going to do anything
>> better
>> than another device other than play video games.
>>

> Then you haven't played with XBMC and are missing out on easily the best
> multimedia system out there (for the price).
>
> You'll eventually change your mind.

We will see, what is XBMC, I have no clue what that is, have never heard of
it.

> "Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message
>> In article <d9KdnUHm7cUnAxzfRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com>, Danny73
>> @columbus.rr.com says...
>>>
>>> "Fish! - of Arcadia." <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote in message

>>> That is all it is about for me, I have never watched a DVD on my PS2,
>>> why?
>>> Because it isn't for watching movies, I have a DVD player and a VCR for
>>> that, the PS2 is for games plain and simple, if I owned an Xbox it would
>>> be
>>> the same way. There is no way a console is ever going to do anything
>>> better
>>> than another device other than play video games.
>>>

>> Then you haven't played with XBMC and are missing out on easily the best
>> multimedia system out there (for the price).
>>
>> You'll eventually change your mind.
>>

> We will see, what is XBMC, I have no clue what that is, have never heard
> of it.

Nevermind did a google on it, I doubt that I will ever change my mind now.
I have no desire to to cram my entertainment center into one device and
highly doubt that an Xbox could take the place of everything in my
entertainment center.

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Fish! - of Arcadia. <tastyfish@fugu.com> wrote:

> not anymore when these consoles are becoming media centers.

Bah, that's a whole other market. "Convergence" is an overhyped buzzword
from the 90s that has yet to produce a truly outstanding, viable product.

Nintendo stated they were only interested in creating a game system with
the Game Cube, and I believe they'll stick to that vision with the
Revolution.

As for Sony and Microsoft, they've both made grandiose speeches about how
their console would be the center of your home entertainment unit, but
very little in that direction has materialized.

We've heard how Xbox360 will be able to use WebTV, and possibly access
media stored on PCs in your home. But realistically now, how many average
consumers are going to be interested in features like that? Even those
who would be interested would probably be more interested in buying a
dedicated media box in addition to (or instead of) an all-in-one device.