Sign in with
Your question

Not Connecting to the Internet

Last response: in Motherboards
January 31, 2013 11:24:29 PM

Okay, I'm having a bit of trouble with an older motherboard. After graduating from college I finally have the room that I can use my desktop again (Yay!), but I am having a bit of trouble with the Ethernet/LAN ports on it. I'm running an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe Motherboard with an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ and Windows XP Pro (32-bit), and it was last used about 2 years ago. When I blew off the dust and fired it up, everything was working expect the LAN ports, they are recognized in the OS and I can see them in the device manager, but it's not connecting to my router or the internet. The LAN ports worked the day that I stored my computer and both the cable and router work fine with my other computer as well as my roommate's computers. I tried updating the drivers for the motherboard from the ASUS website via a flash drive, and I tired reinstalling the ports in the device manager but I still get the error message that both Local Area Connections have unplugged cables. What would the issue be that isn't allowing me to connect to the internet?

Thanks!

More about : connecting internet

February 1, 2013 9:26:06 AM

When you have the ethernet cable plugged in the back are you getting any lights if you have no lights where you plug the cable in? the card maybe disabled or bent pins or bad ethernet cable. If its the card there pretty cheap. Also see if theres a lot of dust in it
m
l
February 1, 2013 10:32:04 AM

try cleaning the lan port connector with ipa. the contact pins inside should look clean and shining. reconnect and check. also clean the btw is ur lan port builtin or external pci card?
m
l
February 1, 2013 10:41:37 AM

The LAN ports are built into the the motherboard and is enabled in both the BIOS and device manager in Windows. The ethernet cable works with my laptop and my Playstation, so I don't think that is the issue. When I plug it in, there are no lights from either the router or the LAN port. I will have to try cleaning out the port when I get home today; I was hoping to avoid having to buy a PCI card.
m
l
!