New CPU and possibly motherboard

Mr-Lancelot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a new CPU.
At the moment I'm using an AMD Athlon II X4 640 with a MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard. The motherboard is brand new, although I didn't pay for it so replacing it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I was looking at some AMD processors but seemed to get the general opinion seemed to be that the new ones aren't worth buying.
So my question is, is it worth buying an all new motherboard and with an Intel CPU or is there another solution where I wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard but instead stay on AMD? Any help would be appreciated.
-Mr-Lancelot

Solution
Replacing the cpu cooler on an already installed cpu is a bit more difficult than on a new cpu because you need to remove the old cooler and clean the cpu surface of old thermak material.

On a new build, the intel 2500K will ship with the cpu chip, and a separate basic cooler with attached fan. Just set the stock cooler assembly aside, you won't need it.

1) Install the cpu chip in the motherboard. Follow instructions, it will only fit one way.

2) A aftermarket cooler, like the cm hyper 212 will come with a backplate that is attached to the back side of the motherboard with 4 bolts.

3) A tube of thermal material is also included. Put a small drop on the cpu. There are various methods, none of which is significantly...
If your cpu is inadequate for the games you play, then there is little point in sticking with AMD.
More cores than 2 or 3 do not help most games. It is faster and more efficient cores that do help.

You could try to OC your current X4.

Bulldozer was a disappointment for gamers. It does have a place for multi threaded apps.

Sandy bridge, or the imminent ivy bridge quads will be the better direction to take.

Games are mostly driven by the power of your graphics card. What card do you have? Are you good there?
A better graphics card is the usual first step to better gaming.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
A Phenom II would be an upgrade without replacing everything, look for 965 black edition or 960T, stick on a CM 212+ cooler and OC to 4GHZ..... happy days

If moneys no object get an i5 2500k and a z68 Mobo, same cooler as above and OC to hell and back.

Mr-Lancelot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
My original idea was to buy a 1100T BE + a Cooler master H80. But I can't seem to find the 1100t anymore. Money is an object, kinda. But at the same time I am prepared to spend quite a lot money on it if it's gonna be noticeable.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Either of the 2 Phenoms I mentioned should be quicker than the Athlon especially after being OC'd. Paired with the cooler OC'ing them is easy.

The 960T may also unlock to a 6 core its not a given but a good chance. The CPU in my signature is an unlocked and OC'd 960T

In the UK they sell for around the £90 mark, in the US i believe around $125. So thats your most cost effective route.

A 1100T BE is a very poor choice for gaming. It does not have the fast cores that you want. At that price point, a sandy bridge CPU would be much better. There is little need for4/5/6 cores for gaming.
Today, it is hard to beat the 2500K for gaming, regardless of the price.

Also, Reconsider the H80. They are fussy, noisy, expensive, and no more effective than a good air cooler in a decent case.
Even a $30 cm hyper212 will do the job with a 2500K.

Your GTX570 is a fine card for gaming on a single monitor. It would be hard to justify more.

Mr-Lancelot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Okay, so I'm starting to feel more like getting me thr 2500k. But which motherboard should I get? I searched for the z68 but there seem to be quite a lot versions of it. Any in particular you would recommend? And for the cooler, should it be the Hyper 212 plus or evo? Or does it even matter that much?

All the vendors make good Z68 motherboards, pick your favorite.
I would not spend extra for an enthusiast motherboard. A regular priced Z68 will allow you sane overclocks up to the limits of the particular cpu chip sample you happen to get. 90% will do 4.0 or better. Even a M-atx size can be good, even though it has only 4 expansion slots which make sli/cf a bit more difficult. My take is that with the advent of strong single cards like the 7970 anf GTX680, there is little need for multiple graphics cards.

Coolers do not matter much either. I like the taller tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan. The cm coolers you mentioned are good. There are others, like the Xigmatek gaia in the $30 price range. If money is no big object, look at the noctua NH-D14.

Mr-Lancelot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Thanks a lot for your answers. I just have one more question I think. About changing the CPU cooler. I'm relatively new to the whole hardware business and I have never really messed around with the CPU before. Is it really that hard and risky? And if we say I bought the Cm Hyper 212, would I have to change the whole cooler or is it true that I would just have to change the fan and is the process a lot different?

Replacing the cpu cooler on an already installed cpu is a bit more difficult than on a new cpu because you need to remove the old cooler and clean the cpu surface of old thermak material.

On a new build, the intel 2500K will ship with the cpu chip, and a separate basic cooler with attached fan. Just set the stock cooler assembly aside, you won't need it.

1) Install the cpu chip in the motherboard. Follow instructions, it will only fit one way.

2) A aftermarket cooler, like the cm hyper 212 will come with a backplate that is attached to the back side of the motherboard with 4 bolts.

3) A tube of thermal material is also included. Put a small drop on the cpu. There are various methods, none of which is significantly superior. The key is to not use too much.

4) Press the cooler on top of the cpu chip, and attach it to the backplate and tighten. The pressure, and later heat will spread out the thermal material and force out any microscopic air pockets.

5) Attach the supplied 120mm fan to the cooler with clips provided, plug the fan wire into the motherboard cpu header, and you are done.

It turns out that the stock intel cooler is harder for the novice to install using the pushpin method.

Solution

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

EVO

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-EVO-CPU-Cooler-Review/1407/6
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Plus-CPU-Cooler-Review/956/7

Thier 212+ was 44C difference vs 36C with the evo.(ambient vs cpu temp) The price difference is only $5

Mr-Lancelot

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Ah okay, I had the idea that the cooler would already be installed when buying the CPU, silly me.
I'm gonna follow all of your advice and buy the 2500k and find a suitable MB + EVO fan.

Thank you all for you help, it's much appreciated.