Solved

Which cpu is the best?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2012 2:21:35 PM

ok so i have a few choices i have been thinking over after i checked a sales website:
1) E7-2850 Xeon Processor <--im not sure if its an eight core or a four core
2) AMD FX 8150 - 3.6 GHz
3) amd opteron 6168 <-- i heard you can unlock it to have a lot of cores.
4)AMD Opteron 256

I'd be open to other processors, but im building my computer based off of the processor so ill worry about motherboard compatibility and stuff later

More about : cpu

March 25, 2012 3:17:33 PM

You've specified a mix of desktop and server processors, this begs the question what is it you're looking to build?
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:35:37 PM

im looking more for a gaming computer.
one that can handle some extremly high quality videos and games.
yes i realize that the graphics card also matters. but im probably going to base that arround what motherboard i get which will be based off the processor.
have you heard anything about the amd opteron.
the server 1, i have a friend who as unlocked another opteron for 11 cores but idk
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2012 4:25:37 PM

amskhan said:
ok so i have a few choices i have been thinking over after i checked a sales website:
2) AMD FX 8150 - 3.6 GHz
4)AMD Opteron 256

I'd be open to other processors, but im building my computer based off of the processor so ill worry about motherboard compatibility and stuff later

So you're considering everything from a single core outdated CPU, to a 10 core, 20 threaded intel CPU?

I don't understand.

for gaming, a CPU built for a server isn't going to optimize well, at all.

How about this? Pick AMD or intel, and go with their best desktop processor of their offering. That is, unless you're building a server setup?

The intel i5 and i7 are hard to beat for gaming, but like what was said about, you have yet to specify a GPU choice.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 6:17:40 PM

amskhan said:
2) AMD FX 8150 - 3.6 GHz
4)AMD Opteron 256

None of the processors you mention are suitable for gaming. The best processor for gaming is the Intel Core i5 2500K. No processor at any price will deliver better performance in games.

These days, the processor has a relatively minor impact on gaming performance. As long as you get one that's fast enough, there is no benefit of getting a faster one. The bottleneck is almost always the graphics card. I would recommend the nVidia GTX 680 or the AMD 7970.
March 25, 2012 8:00:22 PM

ok thnx
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 8:36:38 PM

bwrlane said:
None of the processors you mention are suitable for gaming. The best processor for gaming is the Intel Core i5 2500K. No processor at any price will deliver better performance in games.

These days, the processor has a relatively minor impact on gaming performance. As long as you get one that's fast enough, there is no benefit of getting a faster one. The bottleneck is almost always the graphics card. I would recommend the nVidia GTX 680 or the AMD 7970.

both statement here are partially true. the best processor would be a sandy bridge E cpu like the 3930k. also a cpu DOES still come into play. two of the most popular games within the last 6 months both need a really good cpu. skyrim and BF3.
m
l
March 26, 2012 2:31:16 AM

so you guys think it would just be an overkill i buy a seven core because most games dont really need more then 5 right now, sounds good thnx
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2012 2:37:45 AM

amskhan said:
so you guys think it would just be an overkill i buy a seven core because most games dont really need more then 5 right now, sounds good thnx

i dont know of a 7 core nor a 5 core cpu. most games use between 2-4 cores and there are some out there that will use as many as you have. more and more will use 4+ though in the future.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 26, 2012 3:03:02 AM

i5-2500k > All cpu's above for gaming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2012 3:15:49 AM

amuffin said:
i5-2500k > All cpu's above for gaming.

slow down champion and reword that.

unless you mean that the 2500k is better then all cpus already talked about so far if not the new sandybridge E cpus are better and so is the 2600k. but nothing beats the 2500k relative to cost.
m
l
April 4, 2012 11:56:04 PM

Best answer selected by amskhan.
m
l
April 4, 2012 11:56:40 PM

thnx for the help ill probably end up buying an i5 processor but remade because i have no time.... to make my own...
m
l
!