• World Of Warcraft
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2011 2:21:34 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within 2 weeks

Budget Range: $1000 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: playing current and upcoming games

Parts Not Required: I have a good monitor/keyboard/mouse/and a couple hard drives I can use for storage

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any reputable website

Parts Preferences: quality parts in general
Overclocking: Maybe (if neccesary)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (if neccesary)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: see below

I posted this on reddit, but I am looking for as much feedback as I can get before I spend some money.

Ok. First and foremost, I am more concerned with stability and performance than getting off as cheap as possible. I am primarily going to use this computer to play WoW/D3/SC2, along with Skyrim, and any other new games that look appealing.

In addition, I generally tend to run firefox, itunes, ventrilo, and more than one instance of wow (simultaneously), so i need something that can handle these kinds of things without problems. I also wouldn't mind frapsing/streaming.

I live in the south in the U.S., so it gets really hot here during the summer, and I have had issues in the past with overheating, so I am a little nervous about that.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($20.63 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.00 @ Mac Connection)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $936.57
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-12-19 23:19 EST-0500)

This is what i've been looking at recently. If i'm not mistaken, i could put another video card into this computer for SLI later on if neccesary. Also, i have a couple hard drives that i could use for storage, rather than buy one for insane prices right now.

I am pretty new to the computer building community, so if i've made some glaring mistake(s) let me know. Thanks for reading :) 

**edit:** I updated to an i5 because I read that there's hardly any benefit unless applications take advantage of all the cores; also, (and I could be wrong here) the ivybridge cpus are coming out some time next year, and I could use my same setup and just upgrade my processor if neccesary? Still looking at the cases someone mentioned, but I will update this list again when I find one I like.

edit again: followed the template in the sticky

More about : 1000 wow sc2 gaming computer

December 20, 2011 2:28:35 AM

You have a pretty solid build already but are you sure you need that motherboard its way too expensive, are you positive you need all the extra components
December 20, 2011 2:42:05 AM

Emelth said:
You have a pretty solid build already but are you sure you need that motherboard its way too expensive, are you positive you need all the extra components

Honestly, I was just looking for a quality board with good reviews, and maybe something that will stand up to next year's CPUs, and this one had pretty good reviews, so those were the reasons I chose it.
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 20, 2011 2:53:00 AM

you'll do just as well with the ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 for $124.99... aslso if you get your cpu at microcenter, they have a selection of mobos for $40 off.
December 20, 2011 4:21:30 AM

Yeah definitely drop back on the motherboard, putting the extra $90 into the GPU is huge at that point. Id go with the ASRock that sqrl mentioned, and get the MSI 560ti 448 core that new egg has for 259.99 right now.

That would be far better gaming PC. You do have a storage drive to go with that 64gb SSD right?

Or save that $90 left over, and a little each week so by the summer you can buy a cheap window AC unit, and not have to worry about the heating problem so much. Best $150 I ever spent!

December 20, 2011 4:38:38 AM

I'd stay away from Asrock boards.
you can get mobo+cpu combo from microcenter for extra $40 off and get something like Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
let me know which microcenter u close too so i can check out their stock
also for budget card go for HD6870 or if you save some money from cpu-mobo go for 560Ti 448 if you don't plan on sli or HD6950 2gb if you do plan on cf
December 20, 2011 5:50:45 AM

Honestly the best gaming mobos are P67 NF200, although they might be more pricy. If you don't need the best of the best, I'd go with the MSI P67A-G43 for 120$.
!