Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EVGA GTX 295 Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 23, 2011 1:11:49 AM

So hears my deal (been fighting it over a year), when i play Bad Company 2 and Deus EX (oddly hardly ever in Brink) after a bit the output for my cards stops and my monitor shuts down as if my computers is turned off. the fans and lights on the tower continue to run as well as the fans and lights of the GPUs. i will have to hard restart with the on off button. This Usually happens after about 10 mins of play time, but sometimes under a min, and sometimes after 1.5 hours.

-if i uninstall all nvidia drivers and run driver sweeper then reinstall latest drivers it sometimes fixes it for a while
-i have ran prime95 overnight no problem
-i have ran memtest and no problems
-Fur-mark stress test 1.9.1 for over and hour with no shutdowns. (1 card at 100c the other 89c)
+ 1920x1080, 8x anti aliasing, extreme burn in mode
-ran nvidia 280.26 (latest) drivers the last few days and could go about 15 min before shut down
-Replaced in win commander 1200w with Thermaltake 1350w psu no help


i have EVGA GTX 295 super-clock edition with factory: clock 602, memory 1026, shader 1296
- with EGgA Precision i ran them down to regular gtx 295 speeds of: clock 576, memory 999, shader 1242 (no change)
+i even ran them down to 502,926,1142 (100 under factory???? didn't help)

i have tried with SLI enabled an dwithout, tried both in single card configurations in both pci slots (in any configuration it still happens)

I'm out of ideas, any suggestion would help

hopeing to get it fixed so i can enjoy Battlefield 3

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67
Asus P6T
EVGA GTX 295 super-clock edition
Thermaltake 1350w
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
CORSAIR DOMINATOR (2- 4gb) DDR3 2000

More about : evga gtx 295 problems

a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 11:25:15 PM

when that happened to me all i had to do was to check the psu cables because they were like making a bad contact with the case
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 11:27:10 PM

try that the end of the psu cables are not touching anything, not even the case
m
0
l
Related resources
October 24, 2011 10:16:01 PM

i will give it a try
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 1:44:22 AM

well i gave it at shot and made it about 5 min, then 2 min, then 10 min and gave up.


anybody got an idea
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 1:50:30 AM

blankscreen said:
So hears my deal (been fighting it over a year), when i play Bad Company 2 and Deus EX (oddly hardly ever in Brink) after a bit the output for my cards stops and my monitor shuts down as if my computers is turned off. the fans and lights on the tower continue to run as well as the fans and lights of the GPUs. i will have to hard restart with the on off button. This Usually happens after about 10 mins of play time, but sometimes under a min, and sometimes after 1.5 hours.

-if i uninstall all nvidia drivers and run driver sweeper then reinstall latest drivers it sometimes fixes it for a while
-i have ran prime95 overnight no problem
-i have ran memtest and no problems
-Fur-mark stress test 1.9.1 for over and hour with no shutdowns. (1 card at 100c the other 89c)
+ 1920x1080, 8x anti aliasing, extreme burn in mode
-ran nvidia 280.26 (latest) drivers the last few days and could go about 15 min before shut down
-Replaced in win commander 1200w with Thermaltake 1350w psu no help


i have EVGA GTX 295 super-clock edition with factory: clock 602, memory 1026, shader 1296
- with EGgA Precision i ran them down to regular gtx 295 speeds of: clock 576, memory 999, shader 1242 (no change)
+i even ran them down to 502,926,1142 (100 under factory???? didn't help)

i have tried with SLI enabled an dwithout, tried both in single card configurations in both pci slots (in any configuration it still happens)

I'm out of ideas, any suggestion would help

hopeing to get it fixed so i can enjoy Battlefield 3

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67
Asus P6T
EVGA GTX 295 super-clock edition
Thermaltake 1350w
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
CORSAIR DOMINATOR (2- 4gb) DDR3 2000



forgot to mention that i have 2 gtx 295 so i run quad sli
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 9:48:49 PM

blankscreen said:
forgot to mention that i have 2 gtx 295 so i run quad sli

take apart the whole computer and assemble it again, this worked in my brothers computer when this problem happened
m
0
l
October 31, 2011 4:54:39 AM

megagabobe1 said:
take apart the whole computer and assemble it again, this worked in my brothers computer when this problem happened


well got bf3 loaded tonight and played the campaign. I got to the sniper part on the first level, and got the black screen. after that i could play for about 5 min before i had to hare restart. F@#$ing awesome so far but hard to enjoy 5 min at a time.

i have taken it all apart except for pulling off the cpu cooler in the past, and im still here with the problem. right now im at school and dont have the means to tear it down to the bones

thanks for the help.

anybody care to put in there 2 cents
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2011 7:21:34 AM

blankscreen said:
well got bf3 loaded tonight and played the campaign. I got to the sniper part on the first level, and got the black screen. after that i could play for about 5 min before i had to hare restart. F@#$ing awesome so far but hard to enjoy 5 min at a time.

i have taken it all apart except for pulling off the cpu cooler in the past, and im still here with the problem. right now im at school and dont have the means to tear it down to the bones

thanks for the help.

anybody care to put in there 2 cents


maybe one of your ram sticks is bad, test each one separately
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 10:51:56 PM

i tried each sticks individually with the same problems.

well i tried this and it seemed to help. i have played the campaign to the Russian part but i still have problems. i dont lose gpu output to the monitor anymore, but the game will black screen, minimize out and i cant maximize.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=301261

i also installed the 285.62 drivers
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:14:09 AM

i then believe you have a software problem my frind, you should try reinstalling the OS
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:14:42 AM

or its related to the gpu drivers
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 2:34:12 AM

my computer came per-installed so i dont have hard copy media. whats my best option?

and thanks for the help this thing has been a major thorn in my side. almost makes me want to start gaming on xbox
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:37:00 AM

blankscreen said:
my computer came per-installed so i dont have hard copy media. whats my best option?

and thanks for the help this thing has been a major thorn in my side. almost makes me want to start gaming on xbox


you told me you tried with just one card in the computer right? if not try that and then switch with the other card, does that jst happens with bf 3?
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 2:57:19 AM

i have tried just one card at a time before but i will try it again.
after i removed the old drives this way (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=301261) it seemed to work better. it goes do it in other games but i will try it again to see if the problem is now only BF3
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:59:10 AM

check your temps too, of the entire system
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 3:17:05 AM

temps are good. evga precision (while in game) cards are around 60c and 70c

speed fan cpu around 40c
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 3:22:12 AM

try running kombustor and prime 95 so see how it goes
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 3:16:49 AM

i ran both and had no problems with heat or crashes. i played deus ex for about 25 min today then crash, and played bf3 campain and multi and could only play for 30 sec.

i got bf3 on launch day and have played a total of 3min online. i hate my life. and my computer.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 4:06:54 AM

blankscreen said:
i ran both and had no problems with heat or crashes. i played deus ex for about 25 min today then crash, and played bf3 campain and multi and could only play for 30 sec.

i got bf3 on launch day and have played a total of 3min online. i hate my life. and my computer.


rereading some of the stuff you wrote on your first post lead me to believe your problem is related to drivers, cause if you have run the burn test on the gpu's and no shutdowns, the problem is related with games and drivers. try running some old drivers
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 4:21:53 AM

When you're not doing the Furmark test, how much temps does both show during gaming?
Try running the onboard video card and see if the problem still persists.
Also, install the latest 285.62 WHQL drivers.
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 4:54:03 AM

i flashes the motherboard with the latest bios, and loaded up 275.33 drivers (advise form a fellow gtx 295 user) but bf3 requires later drivers. so i loaded 285.62 and played the campaign for about 4 hours and had 2 driver failures over 3 hours, then 2 more back to back.

during gaming one card stayed about 60c and the other hovers around 70c

how would i run the onboard video card? it cant meet minimum secs for modern games can it?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 4:58:50 AM

No, the onboard video card won't be able to play these games, but I just wanted to see if the problem occurs even when not gaming.
But forget that suggestion, try running the games with just one GTX295.
m
0
l
November 9, 2011 2:55:06 AM

well i tried just one at a time and they both did it. also tried Batman Arkham asylum and it crashed. going to talk to evga and see what they can do

thanks for the help everybody
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 1:41:14 PM

Post back the solutions they may have given you as well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 1:55:08 PM

blankscreen said:
well i tried just one at a time and they both did it. also tried Batman Arkham asylum and it crashed. going to talk to evga and see what they can do

thanks for the help everybody


sorry i could not solve your problem, hope the poeple from EVGA can help you
m
0
l
November 16, 2011 1:37:28 AM

Blank, did you ever fix this problem?

I have the same card - dust gets into the heat pipes and clogs the airflow. I run the EVGA Precision software to show temps while I run games (Temp, fan speed). Shoots up to 100C within minutes. I took it apart once, really annoying and couldn't do a thorough job because the little screws were in so tight I was stripping them. It's two cards sandwiching a heat sink - real purty, but you have to remove a lot of screws. There is a YouTube video that shows you how to do it.

Not terrible if you want to salvage the card, though, and maybe a good blast of air will help.

I did this about 6-8 months ago, and right now, idle, my card is running at 84 while the system is about 55-60. My son plays Arkham Asylum and the card shuts down not long after (red light glowing from the back of the card). I don't think I'll be able to get those screws off again, so looking at a EVGA 560 TI DS Superclocked. It fits my budget and comes with Arkham City...
m
0
l
November 16, 2011 1:57:51 AM

have not fixed it yet. my problem is not heat my temps never get over 72 c. started the rma process but they want original invoice from 2 years ago and that is 400 miles away at home. hopefully i will find time during the holidays to finish this process. also i hope they take them back or fix the problem because i bought this computer form ibuypower.com and was unaware i had to register the card, so i never did.

live and learn i guess
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 9:18:00 PM

blankscreen said:
have not fixed it yet. my problem is not heat my temps never get over 72 c. started the rma process but they want original invoice from 2 years ago and that is 400 miles away at home. hopefully i will find time during the holidays to finish this process. also i hope they take them back or fix the problem because i bought this computer form ibuypower.com and was unaware i had to register the card, so i never did.

live and learn i guess


srry for that bro, but if any of the solutions we mentioned worked i guess the cards must be bad or something
m
0
l
!