Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is ivy bridge worth the wait

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2012 6:18:32 PM

hi im new to the tomhardware, ive been buy things for the last few weeks now and i was wondering if i should wait for IB or jump to SB. I5 2500k.
parts i have are asrock z68extreme gen3
seasonic psu 1050W
corsair vengence 16GB kit ddr3 1600
gskill ram cooler
corsair h100 cpu cooler
i went with the thor case by rosewell

planning to get some higher end video cards as i have the hd 6870 in CF. i wanted to stick with amd card but as of now the gtx 680 looks like the cards im gonna get for SLI.
im really impatient when it come to a new build and was wondering is IB gonna be that great of a cpu. since i will be doing moderate gaming and HI10P video encoding. or is the i7 2600k more for me. sorry but i wanted to support amd as long as i can but there offering is slim to none when it come to performance.

BTW whaty do you all think about the HD 7970 vs gtx 680 since they will be in multi monitors setup for gamming and application all three monitors are 1080p 120HZ samsung telivision @ 46"

More about : ivy bridge worth wait

Best solution

March 25, 2012 6:59:11 PM

You might as well go for sandy bridge as you've got everything else already. Just go for the 2500k as hi10p doesn't use hyper threading.

As for the graphics cards, personally I'd go for 2 gtx 680's but you'd be fine with two of either.
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 7:08:19 PM

Z77 is probably a bigger upgrade than a IB, that said you get the faster memory SPD, native USB 3 and PCI e support.

1050w is also a bit overkill and also Corsair memory sucks, I would change that two. Vengeance is not good and doesn't overclock well, corsair memory is totally unreliable.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 7:35:05 PM

yeah return the memory and psu. the psu is overkill.
Score
March 25, 2012 7:45:21 PM

Ell unless you plan to go 4 way sli/crossfirex ;-)
Also make sure your memory is 1.5v for sandy bridge.
Score
March 25, 2012 7:47:35 PM

yes the psu is overkill but I wouldn't go as far as return it. this just means you won't have to worry about power limits in your future builds, unless you go completely nuts
Score
a c 229 à CPUs
March 25, 2012 7:52:53 PM

The 2600k will come in very handy with the video editing as will the CUDA plug ins if ya use an nVidia card....tho frankly with the new design, I'd wanna see some benchies on the 680 in that regard with it's reduced math capability, not sure how the 680 will do in this respect.

All ya other parts are great performers ....1050 is a bit oversized but will come in handy if ya go tri-SLI. The Vengeance RAM is top notch .... only brand I have had fewer returns on is Mushkin (most of my returns have been Gskill). The 16GB will serve you well in your video editing efforts.

The H100 is the only choice I'd question.....great thermal performer but just a smidgeon better than the Phanteks or Silver Arrow which run much quieter.

The RAM cooler on the other hand is a total waste.... DDR3 doesn't need cooling.....those tall toothy heat sinks ..... The only cooling effect of these big coolers is that they "look cool". While they served a purpose (when they were effective) w/ DDR2, they are absolutely useless on DDR3. here's an article that's abit old ...... soon after Corsair released a low profile version of the RAM

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
Quote:
At more than 2" tall in certain areas the Corsair Vengeance could pose a problem for users like me who use large coolers such as the Scythe Mugen 2. I was able to use the Corsair Vengeance only after I mounted the fan on my cooler on the backside. Size is definitely a concern with heat spreaders of this size and therefore I encourage users to check that they will have enough space under their heatsinks before purchasing the Corsair Vengeance kit.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
Quote:
The problem I have with the Corsair Vengeance is the same I have with many kits of RAM on the market. Companies insist on putting large coolers on their RAM and it limits the choice in CPU heatsinks that can be used within users system. DDR3 does not require these elaborate coolers with its lower voltages which translate to lower temperatures then RAM saw during the DDR, and DDR2 era. Corsair is correcting this with low profile versions of its Vengeance line but ultimately I would like to see the average size of coolers drop instead of having to look for specific low profile versions of a memory line.

Here's the new line w/o the silly heat sinks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-233-196^20-233-196-TS%2C20-233-186^20-233-186-TS%2C20-233-199^20-233-199-TS
Score
March 25, 2012 9:02:12 PM

thanks for all the input :??:  so ill go on ahead and grab the i5 2500k and grab a gtx 680 when newwegg have them in stock.and grab another when the time is right, as for the psu i bought it on sale from newegg. and i was also informed that it is better to use a good name brand psu then to buy one with out a solid reputation.

thanks a bunch guy. been really helpful in helping me pick out the remaining parts i need. Ravgema
Score
March 25, 2012 10:07:30 PM

Best answer selected by ravgema.
Score
March 25, 2012 10:33:01 PM

sarinaide said:
Z77 is probably a bigger upgrade than a IB, that said you get the faster memory SPD, native USB 3 and PCI e support.

1050w is also a bit overkill and also Corsair memory sucks, I would change that two. Vengeance is not good and doesn't overclock well, corsair memory is totally unreliable.

Overclocking aside, what's wrong with Corsair? Since when is it unreliable? About 1000 people on NewEgg would disagree with you.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
March 26, 2012 2:05:06 AM

From all the reviews I have read and people I have talked to Ivy Bride is pretty much just a die shrink. A couple tweaks here and there but nothing very substantial.
Score
April 8, 2012 7:53:39 AM

Go with the 7970's there faster in crossfire than the 680's are in sli (Im not 100% sure im goin by a benchmark and from what people have told me) that is if you plan on crossfire
Score
!