Sign in with
Your question

How do I determine which processor is fastest ?

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2012 7:33:44 PM

In the 4 machines in my office Compaq Presario SR5450F they currently have the following CPU's:

Processor
Pentium E2180 Figure 2: Intel Pentium logo
•Operating speed: Up to 2.0 GHz
•Number of cores: 2
•Socket: 775
•Bus speed: 800 MHz

HP says that I can upgrade the processors to my choice of the following:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades
•Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale) E8xxx
•Core 2 Duo E6xxx (Conroe) up to E6850
•Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe) with Dual Core technology up to E2160
•Core 2 Duo E4xxx (Conroe)
•Celeron 4xx series (Conroe) up to Celeron 450

How do I determine which of these processors is faster than the one that I have ? And if somebody can show me how to overclock the replacement processor, will it be close to an i3, i5, or an i7 processor that is out today ??

And can you change out a processor and make the machine 64 bit with the existing motherboard that is on board ??? How do I use the 1333 MHz bus speed that the machines have available, but is not being utilized ? I understand that the front bus speed that is being utilized currently is 800 MHz

The Motherboard =
MCP73M01H1 (Napa)Figure 1: Motherboard top view
•Manufacturer: Foxconn
•Form factor: microATX - 9.6 inches (24.4 cm) x 8.5 inches (21.5 cm)
•Chipset: GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
•Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
•Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz
•Processor socket: 775
•Expansion Slots:
◦1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
◦2 PCI Express x1 slots
◦1 PCI slot
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2012 8:12:30 PM

Hello andrew12345678;

The Wolfdale CPUs are the best performance parts in that list.
They also have the 1333 FSB.

Overclocking those CPUs will also require a motherboard change.
It's the extra motherboard BIOS options that Napa BIOS does not include that allow the changes bring about an overclock.

Performance comparison: Core 2 Duo E8600 - 3.33GHz vs Core i3 2100 - 3.1GHz
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 8:24:42 PM

andrew12345678 said:
In the 4 machines in my office Compaq Presario SR5450F they currently have the following CPU's:

Processor
Pentium E2180 Figure 2: Intel Pentium logo
•Operating speed: Up to 2.0 GHz
•Number of cores: 2
•Socket: 775
•Bus speed: 800 MHz

HP says that I can upgrade the processors to my choice of the following:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades
•Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale) E8xxx
•Core 2 Duo E6xxx (Conroe) up to E6850
•Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe) with Dual Core technology up to E2160
•Core 2 Duo E4xxx (Conroe)
•Celeron 4xx series (Conroe) up to Celeron 450

How do I determine which of these processors is faster than the one that I have ? And if somebody can show me how to overclock the replacement processor, will it be close to an i3, i5, or an i7 processor that is out today ??

And can you change out a processor and make the machine 64 bit with the existing motherboard that is on board ??? How do I use the 1333 MHz bus speed that the machines have available, but is not being utilized ? I understand that the front bus speed that is being utilized currently is 800 MHz

The Motherboard =
MCP73M01H1 (Napa)Figure 1: Motherboard top view
•Manufacturer: Foxconn
•Form factor: microATX - 9.6 inches (24.4 cm) x 8.5 inches (21.5 cm)
•Chipset: GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
•Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
•Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz
•Processor socket: 775
•Expansion Slots:
◦2 PCI Express x1 slots
◦1 PCI slot

Of all those processors the Core 2 Duo Wolfdale would be the best choice. You aren't going to be able to overclock any of those CPU's with the stock OEM motherboard. Pretty much all big box computer companies lock the BIOS so they can not be overclocked. The only way to overclock would be you would have to get a new motherboard. If you do all that you might as well just do a whole new build around Sandy Bridges or Ivy Bridges because a new motherboard means a new processor and new RAM thats half a new build right there. Also the Sandy Bridge I3/I5/I7 is the second generation of Icore processors and none of those listed are really going to come anywhere near the performance of the Sandy Bridges processors.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2012 8:26:11 PM

andrew12345678 said:
And can you change out a processor and make the machine 64 bit with the existing motherboard that is on board
Your Presario SR5450Fs are currently 64bit systems.
Even if you might have 32bit operating systems installed on them.
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:14:47 PM

Please someone verify what I am about to do:

1.) I am going to upgrade the CPU's in all 4 machines in my office from E2180 to E8500, cost = $109.00
It appears to me that the E8500 is very close to the i3 performance level.

2.) I am going to put in qty 3, dual output video cards to be able to use 6 monitors for each machine. The card that someone else on this site proposed is EVGA 512-P1-N402-LR GeForce 6200 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI 2.1 Video Card, cost = $45.00

3.) Upgrade power supply from 250w to 430w to accomadate graphics cards. CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply, cos = $45.00

Costs Per Machine and there are 4 machines to be upgraded.

1.) Upgrade processor from a E2180 to E8500 per machine = $109.00
2.) 3 dual video cards $49.00@ x 3 per machine = $150.00
3.) Upgrade power supply from 250w to 430w = $ 45.00
Total cost to upgrade each machine $304.00

The current machines are running Vista 32 bit and the final step after the above is done is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. Would anyone here have a good legit source for Windows 7 Professional for each of these 4 machines ? If so, it would be greatly appreciated since I am going to spend $1,200 plus the cost of 16, 24" monitors wth stands to make this huge move for my business.

The programs that we currently run are the following on a peer to peer network:

1.) Quickbooks Pro 2009, soon to be upgraded to Quickbooks 2012
2.) Microsoft Office 2003 [ Will be upgraded at a later date, not in the budget right now ]
3.) Micosoft MapPoint
4.) We are heavy internet explorer users and have 3-8 windows open all the time.
5.) We have Outlook 2003 open all of the time.

I really do not want to have the headache of a server and especially the maintenance of it at this time, so I think that peer to peer will be ok since there are only 4 users and maybe up to 6 by the end of 2012.

Given all of the information that I have supplied, I think that it will all work out fine, but I would prefer some opinions.

Investing in new machines would be a huge expense above and beyond what I am about to spend because I still would have to buy the larger power supply and the 3 video cards which are most of the cost above. I think that upgrading the processors in all 4 machines from E2180 to E8500's is wise because it LOOKS LIKE TO ME, that the processor performance will be at least 50% faster and be almost equivalent to an i3 processor.

Please let me know if you would make the same move on a very limited budget to put 6 monitors on all of your 4 computers and get ready for a full install of Windows 7 Professional. Thank you ! Andrew
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 9:22:21 PM

andrew12345678 said:
Please someone verify what I am about to do:

1.) I am going to upgrade the CPU's in all 4 machines in my office from E2180 to E8500, cost = $109.00
It appears to me that the E8500 is very close to the i3 performance level.

2.) I am going to put in qty 3, dual output video cards to be able to use 6 monitors for each machine. The card that someone else on this site proposed is EVGA 512-P1-N402-LR GeForce 6200 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI 2.1 Video Card, cost = $45.00

3.) Upgrade power supply from 250w to 430w to accomadate graphics cards. CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply, cos = $45.00

Costs Per Machine and there are 4 machines to be upgraded.

1.) Upgrade processor from a E2180 to E8500 per machine = $109.00
2.) 3 dual video cards $49.00@ x 3 per machine = $150.00
3.) Upgrade power supply from 250w to 430w = $ 45.00
Total cost to upgrade each machine $304.00

The current machines are running Vista 32 bit and the final step after the above is done is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. Would anyone here have a good legit source for Windows 7 Professional for each of these 4 machines ? If so, it would be greatly appreciated since I am going to spend $1,200 plus the cost of 16, 24" monitors wth stands to make this huge move for my business.

The programs that we currently run are the following on a peer to peer network:

1.) Quickbooks Pro 2009, soon to be upgraded to Quickbooks 2012
2.) Microsoft Office 2003 [ Will be upgraded at a later date, not in the budget right now ]
3.) Micosoft MapPoint
4.) We are heavy internet explorer users and have 3-8 windows open all the time.
5.) We have Outlook 2003 open all of the time.

I really do not want to have the headache of a server and especially the maintenance of it at this time, so I think that peer to peer will be ok since there are only 4 users and maybe up to 6 by the end of 2012.

Given all of the information that I have supplied, I think that it will all work out fine, but I would prefer some opinions.

Investing in new machines would be a huge expense above and beyond what I am about to spend because I still would have to buy the larger power supply and the 3 video cards which are most of the cost above. I think that upgrading the processors in all 4 machines from E2180 to E8500's is wise because it LOOKS LIKE TO ME, that the processor performance will be at least 50% faster and be almost equivalent to an i3 processor.

Please let me know if you would make the same move on a very limited budget to put 6 monitors on all of your 4 computers and get ready for a full install of Windows 7 Professional. Thank you ! Andrew

im pretty sure some else on another thread told you or someone else that 6 monitor setups are not possible and if you can get the right cards(rare) its a lot of hassle.
m
l
March 25, 2012 9:28:18 PM

cbrunnem said:
im pretty sure some else on another thread told you or someone else that 6 monitor setups are not possible and if you can get the right cards(rare) its a lot of hassle.

This is what I was told last night and it considered that the existing PC had a 2-port graphics card that is currently running 2 monitors.

I really am sorry, but I am lost here. I want to make 6 monitors work off of 1 computer. If the card only has 2 outputs. Here are the slots that are in the machine.
◦2 PCI Express x1 slots
◦1 PCI slot

Can you tell me what to do ?

1) You already have two working monitors which are connected to the motherboard rear panel ports.

2) Install a discrete graphics card in the pcie x16 slot. You can attach two monitors to that card.

3) Buy either a graphics card for a X1 slot, or a graphics card for the pcie slot. You can attach two monitors to it.

Edit----------------
The two added graphics cards should be both from the same chip manufacturer(NVIVIA or AMD) so you can use the same graphics driver for both. Vista can, I think, only have one graphics driver. Thinking about it, it is possible that your onboard graphics may use a different driver which will cause you a problem.
Windows 7 does not have that restriction. I suppose you could populate three motherboard slots with the same Nvidia cards and not use the onboard graphics.

m
l
March 25, 2012 9:29:51 PM

This is what I found out last night and it considered that I already have a 2-port graphics card installed into the machine.

I really am sorry, but I am lost here. I want to make 6 monitors work off of 1 computer. If the card only has 2 outputs. Here are the slots that are in the machine.
◦2 PCI Express x1 slots
◦1 PCI slot

Can you tell me what to do ?

1) You already have two working monitors which are connected to the motherboard rear panel ports.

2) Install a discrete graphics card in the pcie x16 slot. You can attach two monitors to that card.

3) Buy either a graphics card for a X1 slot, or a graphics card for the pcie slot. You can attach two monitors to it.

Edit----------------
The two added graphics cards should be both from the same chip manufacturer(NVIVIA or AMD) so you can use the same graphics driver for both. Vista can, I think, only have one graphics driver. Thinking about it, it is possible that your onboard graphics may use a different driver which will cause you a problem.
Windows 7 does not have that restriction. I suppose you could populate three motherboard slots with the same Nvidia cards and not use the onboard graphics.

m
l
!