Gaming PC Build for a First Timer

Lola_Belle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi guys!
I have never built a PC before, but a few of my friends have and they tell me that it's something I should definitely be able to handle. I want to be able to play current-gen games, though they don't necessarily need to be maxed out to the highest settings. This is the current build that I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.69 @ DirectCanada

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $139.99 @ CanadaComputers

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $44.99 @ Newegg Canada

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.99 @ Buy.com Canada

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB Video Card $265 @ DirectCanada

Power Supply: OCZ ZT Series 750W ATX12V 20/24PIN Modular 80+ Bronze Active PFC Power Supply $89.99 @ Canada Computers

Optical Drive: LG GH24LS70 DVD/CD Writer $23.76 @ DirectCanada

I don't have a case picked out, though I've been eyeing the HAF 922. As this is my first time, I would like to get whatever case makes it the easiest on me to install. I'm not absolutely married to the other items in my build, so if you guys have any suggestions for things that I should add or take out, I'm definitely open.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Check out the Lancool K63 and the CM 690 II Advanced

Both have front USB 3.0, though keep in mind the K63 uses a passthrough system that requires you to run a cord out of the back of the case and plug into one of your mobos rear USB 3.0 connectors. The 690 II, while all of the new cases are shipping with the new faceplate (that have USB headers, so they install inside the case) there might still be old inventory out there that is the usb 2.0 front. Just double check whomever you're purchasing with.

More importantly, both offer tool-less design that makes it VERY easy to install every single part of the build.

Looks like a really solid build, best of luck.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
The CM 690 II cases are definitely nice ones.

You might want to add a CPU heatsink and fan, instead of using the stock Intel one. The benefit is that your CPU should stay cooler during the intensive games. CM Hyper 212+ works well for me and is quite cheap for how effective it is. There's an updated version that was released a few months ago.