CPU and Mobo Combo?

Hysteria

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Hi everyone I'm in the process of constructing my new build for gaming. Here are the parts I have so far:

Case- Corsair 600T
PSU- Seasonic X Sereis 650W
HDD- 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200
CPU Cooler- Hyper 212 Evo
OS- Windows Home Premium
Monitor- Asus VS247H-P 23.6inch
Ram- 8GB ripjaws x series 1866
Optical Drive- LG basic drive

gpu will be 680 or 7950 depending on how far I want to stretch my budget

I am at a loss as to which cpu and motherboard to get.

I was looking at i5 2500k and a z68, although some people tell me to wait for z77 and ivy.

What do you guys think?

Im eager to get building as I already have half of my build. Does anyone even know the releases for z77 and ivy? will there be significant performance boosts?

thanks!

oh yeah also, with the case i own can i fit an mATX mobo in it? or does the case only fit full size ATX mobos?

Hysteria

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

thats not reassuring haha. are ivy and z77 worth the wait? Also, the questions in my first post still stand.

-thanks!

Hysteria

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

yes that is my case. so even if i wait for z77 it will most likely have a lot of problems for a few months?

dd21

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

i don't know about having a lot of problems, but the hardware will possibly have bugs that will get fixed

1) M-atx motherboards are a subset of full ATX, and will fit any full or M-atx case. You are good there.

2) If you will build soon, there is nothing better for gaming than a 2500K. If you have a 2500K, there will be no compelling reason to change to ivy bridge.
Ditto for a Z68 motherboard vs the newer Z77 motherboard.

3) Ivy bridge launch for quads, like the 3570K is supposed to be April 29. At launch, you will be getting a cpu that is about 10% stronger with possibly better OC potential.
Prices should be similar to 2500K. If you build close enough to launch date, It might pay to wait.

4) Have you bought the ram, or, are you just planning on it?
Sandy bridge is insensitive to ram speeds, do not pay extra for ram faster than 1333, or for fancy heat spreaders.

Hysteria

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

already bought the 8gb at 1866, but it was on sale for $49 so I was like why not :)

so wait for ivy? or possibly wait and then pick up the 2500k for cheaper

I've heard that the z77 boards are coming out mid april, so i could pick those up or get z68 for cheaper

personally, what do you think i should do?

1. MATX is Micro ATX ... MoBoi is small size design giving up features to fit in tiny cases.

2. While Ivy is expected to produce significant increases in efficiency and on board graphics performance, I have not seen anything to get excited about.

Save an extra $10 on MoBo / GFX combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.864275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.864217

As a rule, Intel does not discount last gen products when a newer gen is launched; do not expect to pick up a discounted 2500K.
On the replacement market, there is nowhere else to go.
On the used market, you will see a lowering of prices.

Ditto forZ68 vs Z77.

April 29 is a ways away, if you have the itch and the funds today.

If waiting is not a big deal, you could wait.

Only YOU can decide how badly you need to scratch that itch now.

Hysteria

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

ideally, i can wait. I just don't want to wait if its not worth the wait.

PCIe 3.0, native USB 3.0, and official 1600MHz RAM support. All stuff a good Z68 board can do (in the case of PCIe 3.0, with an IB processor. For example, my relatively low end Asus P8Z68-V LE is PCIe 3.0 and IB ready. And native USB 3.0 and 1600MHz RAM support isn't really a big deal to me personally, since almost every Z68 board (if not all) out there has USB 3.0 (through a non-Intel controller) and support for 1600MHz RAM).