Sign in with
Your question

BSODs, now random hard freezes...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2011 4:23:15 AM

Hey new to this whole forum thing, and I know similar issues have been discussed but none have yielded any result...

This is a new system I built and I have decent enough experience with computers so take me serious please.

Windows by it self runs fine, not an issue to be seen. I've been getting random freezes and BSODs relating to IRQL_Not_less_or_equal or it'll say driver something or 'nother.
Timing is completely random, it could be less than an hour, or it could be 6+ hours before the system results in a BSOD or completely locks up (alt ctrl del etc not working). Before it was doing it frequently on Crysis 2 and Minecraft would run fine, then decided to not let Mincecraft work now Crysis 2 runs okay. I've run diagnotics on all hardware components using a diagnostic disc that EPC left in one of my laptops, found no malfunctions. Benchmarked the graphics, nothing.
Did a 6-7 test on memory nothing.
Tried a 700w instead of my 620w, still did it. Swept the HDD 3 times, did clean installs, have all the latest drivers, flashed the newest BIOS. Still have issues with this. Windows event viewer didn't come up with any problems, only Kernel-Power because I'll have to manually shut down when frozen. I need help badly before BattleField 3 comes out in a few days!!!

I would sincerely appreciate any help. I've given my all, and I can't figure it out.

My system is as follows...

PSU: Antec 620w 38A
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1600 4GB (x2) [8GB total]
GPU: AMD Sapphire Radeon HD6950
October 23, 2011 4:25:47 AM

Almost forgot, I'm also using...
Windows 7 Professional x64
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2011 6:31:01 AM

Yes, I've read this. Now this would make sense... but how can a driver not be working, yet let a game run for hours at a time before finally freezing?

That particular BSOD hasn't happened in a while, more predominantly, it's just simply freezing now.

Before my drivers were properly updated, the system would reboot at such times, rather than freezing. Additionally to that, Windows would report nothing wrong prior to the reboot other than an unexpected loss of power. (...but that doesn't happen anymore, but though it might give some insight to the problem I'm having.)
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 6:41:09 AM

if your hdd is more than a few years old just try a check disk to see if it find something
m
l
October 23, 2011 7:19:44 AM

Um... yeah, I mentioned I just built this... so yeah. Lol.
m
l
October 23, 2011 7:21:32 AM

...though, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. I just ran a defrag too, but it seemed quick, almost like I didn't need to. : \
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 7:39:13 AM

hard drive diagnostic and memtes86+ for the ram is a good place to start.
m
l
October 23, 2011 8:08:49 AM

Already ran such diagnostics with PC-Check v6. No problems came up. The more I look into this, the more I think this is software related, I've been messing around on this thing all night and it hasn't frozen, at least yet. I ran FurMark, maxed settings, no freeze there, then ran Crysis 2 maxed out, and at the same time MineCraft, so both OpenGL and DirectX running and it didn't happen to freeze though normally it would.

Also, max temps during all this via HWMonitor...
GPU=62C
CPU=50C
m
l
October 24, 2011 6:06:14 AM

Okay, so for some odd reason, ever since I used "Verifier.exe" it hasn't done it since, I'm crossing my fingers here.
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:56:03 PM

I can't seem to hit the nail on the head here... I was playing Skyrim last night and it rebooted out of no where again. Keep in mind I've gone days without this occurring, even whilst playing Skyrim it self (for hours at a time, might I add).

All diagnostics aren't yielding any clues. There are no thermal events, so my system isn't overheating, I run the game well. Windows event viewer says nothing is going on except an "unexpected loss of power" (Kernel Power) [code 41]. The last thing logged prior to this event is "Filter Manager", and it seems to be habitual that this is the last process to run before the power event. I don't know what that could possibly mean.

Any ideas folks? I'd appreciate any and all ideas (aside from those already posted), thank you in advance.
m
l
November 26, 2011 5:34:45 AM

Yes, this was one of many articles I stumbled upon while having this problem before I came here, but thanks for the input, much appreciated, unfortunately however, it didn't tell me much that I didn't already know. :\
m
l
December 1, 2011 9:32:56 PM

Just visted the ASUS website, looks like they rolled out a new BIOS version for my MoBo, gonna flash it tonight. Says it "improves memory compatibility" and "improves system stability". Might be the solution, crossing my fingers here.
m
l
!