No display and no beeps whilw starting

mikhael

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hello,
Sony laptop shows no display. On presssing the start button the start button lits up and the first light indicator lits up. On observing the display,though there is no display there are some darker vertical lines visible on close observation. I tried to connect to an external monitor and used all the key combinations to no effect. I wanted to know whether there is any problem with the hard drive or processor or motherboard. What could I do to fix this problem. I had to reveal that a little amount of water did enter the computer by accident. I wiped the computer dry and used it for a few minutes It did work well and then this problem started

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Since an external monitor did not work, I would have to say you have a MB issue. Probably time for a new laptop. Since you had water in the system, you could try and remove the MB and look for any corrosion, clean it off and try to boot it again. There are videos on youtube on how to disassemble most laptops. Also, check the RAM, take it out and blow it off along with the RAM ports. Good Luck.

mikhael

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Thank you for the reply. I did disassemble the laptop and removed the DVD drive, memory sticks and the hard drive and dusted them off.I did not try to remove the processor. I attended to the laptop quite soon once the water crept in. It was a little amount and I did'nt see any corrosion on the motherboard. What hardware problem could cause this kind of typical display problem ( no display with thin vertical bars on very close inspection)

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
It could be a loose cable connection from the display to the MB or the GPU (since it's a laptop, im guessing it's an integrated one). This is a typical sign of vertical lines. Since an external monitor does not work, it leaves me to believe the GPU is malfunctioning.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I also remember one laptop I worked on was getting vertical lines when the memory was dusty. I took out the memory, blew out the slots and chips, reseated them and then it worked fine.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Oh yea, one other thing you can try.... Remove the battery, unplug the laptop, hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. Replace the battery, plug in the laptop and see if it boots. Probably wont work, but worth a try.