Why does my xp computer keep freezing up randomly and then start again everythin

sump

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I have an XP Computer and regularly but inconsistently [no set time interval] everything freezes, even installs or downloads - EVERYTHING! This usually lasts for about 10 seconds - has lasted longer. When this happens the (running? light) not sure of its proper name, on the tower is really bright and seems not to be flickering but can't be sure because I haven't looked that close.

I disabled everything in the autorun settings but this didn't make any difference. The one thing I did notice however, was that upon restart two of the autoruns had reenabled themselves. They are 1) Alcmtr and 2) NvCplDaemon.

It really is frustrating. Can you suggest what else might be causing it?

I have two very good antispyware programs installed. 1)Emisoft Anti-malware and 2) Malwarebytes Anti-malware. I did a full scan with Emisoft and it only found some medium threats which I quarantined. I didn't do a full scan with Malwarebytes because of time.

I have my system backed up with Paragon but I don't really want to have to go back to it unless I really have to because I have added stuff since then.

Kind regards,
Dennis

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Complete freeze like that sounds like a Memory issue did you try running Memtest with your Windows install disk? Also I would try the deep scan with Malwarebytes I've had it find stuff that the quick and normal scans didn't. How many sticks of RAM are in it, you could try taking all of them out but one and see if it still freezes, if it does try the other one, if it still freezes, rinse and repeat till you've tried all the sticks of RAM. I've had an issue with the antivirus' fighting each other, I thought when first getting into the building PC thing that if one antivirus is good 2 has to be better, well I was wrong, it did all sorts of strange things including freezes and crashes. Computer Specs would help with the troubleshooting also, components, OS, and such.