Sign in with
Your question

How can I override my video card's settings and output 1440p over HDMI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2011 7:00:33 AM

I don't yet have either item.
Computer is an HP dv7-6178us and monitor is a Dell U2711. The video card for that is a Radeon 6490m, which supports HDMI out up to 1920x1200. But I KNOW that HDMI easily supports 2560x1440. It's just a software thing, correct? I want to know it's possible before I buy these things. The computer has only VGA and HDMI... no DisplayPort nor DVI-D........ is it an EDID issue? I know that there is software to edit that. If I can force *Windows 7* to display 2560x1440 on the external monitor, will it definitely work even though my *video card* doesn't?
October 23, 2011 7:18:44 AM

1920x1080 is the highest I can go and I have a Samsung syncmaster HD monitor. It will only display resolutions that the monitor will accept.

It is not just a software thing. It will depend on your monitor's ability to process the HD signal and show it to you.

At the highest, I think sometimes I see a fly on the windowpane next to the enemy sniper.
m
l
October 23, 2011 7:32:49 AM

x Heavy said:
1920x1080 is the highest I can go and I have a Samsung syncmaster HD monitor. It will only display resolutions that the monitor will accept.

It is not just a software thing. It will depend on your monitor's ability to process the HD signal and show it to you.

At the highest, I think sometimes I see a fly on the windowpane next to the enemy sniper.

Yeah... this monitor is supposed to be able to display 2560x1440. It's my computer's ability to send that signal. I mean... I KNOW it can... it supports higher resolutions through DVI and DisplayPort. It's just that my computer only *has* HDMI... =\

#firstworldproblems
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2012 12:13:05 PM

superjake40 said:
Yeah... this monitor is supposed to be able to display 2560x1440. It's my computer's ability to send that signal. I mean... I KNOW it can... it supports higher resolutions through DVI and DisplayPort. It's just that my computer only *has* HDMI... =\

#firstworldproblems

You can use the U2711 with HDMI out on the PC IF the card is not radeon...

The U2711 will not accept HDMI in at 2560x1440 but you can buy a HDMI to DVI cable - then force a custom resolution out of the PC HDMI into the U2711's DVI. Make sure the cable is HDMI to DVI-D (Has all the pins).

I got this to work on my Asus laptop with a GTX 460M - totally unable to get it working with radeons to date...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 5:14:51 PM

A couple things:

Dell's documentation states that the U2711 HDMI port is (internally) limited to 1920x1080 first off. Second, it will output the resolution you want ONLY if the HDMI port is version 1.3a or newer. You also need an HDMI to DVI or HDMI to Displayport cable.
m
l
!