Will GTX 560 Ti work with Thermaltake tr-2 550 PSU?

G

I'm planning to upgrade to nVidia GTX 560 Ti from my old 9800 GT. My only concern is the PSU. It's
Thermaltake Tr-2 550 and is rated at 550w. In several threads people say that GTX 560 ti requires 38amp on 12v rail, and my PSU says "12v1 15amp; 12v2 14amp". So, I am not sure if they add and/or if the 38 amp is the minimal requirement.

Solution
If that PSU has a little voltage switch on it, it is the older model, which is overrated and crappy.
In any case, since a GTX560Ti has two 6-pin PCIE power connectors, the most power it could possibly draw is 225W, or just under 19A under max load (e.g. benchmarking; games will use much less). In actual use, it will of course be less. Your CPU might use 8-11A (again, at max load), and other miscellaneous things like drives and fans will use a few more amps. Needing 38A sounds like a bit of an overestimate, although it would certainly be safe.

Edit: From the label, that looks like the older one. Multiple +12V rails are fine, just know that they are not strictly additive. You probably have 20A-22A available between them, so no, that...

popatim

Titan
You'll need to call thermaltake as they made 2 versions of that PSU, one has a single rail and will run that gpu fine. unfortunately they did not change the model number or the specs on the box when they made the change to a single rail.

G

Here's a photo of the label on the PSU itself.
53pdp4.jpg

I think that it has 2 12v values means it is not 1 rail? So if it has 2 rails it's not going to be fine? Thanks for helping.

If that PSU has a little voltage switch on it, it is the older model, which is overrated and crappy.
In any case, since a GTX560Ti has two 6-pin PCIE power connectors, the most power it could possibly draw is 225W, or just under 19A under max load (e.g. benchmarking; games will use much less). In actual use, it will of course be less. Your CPU might use 8-11A (again, at max load), and other miscellaneous things like drives and fans will use a few more amps. Needing 38A sounds like a bit of an overestimate, although it would certainly be safe.

Edit: From the label, that looks like the older one. Multiple +12V rails are fine, just know that they are not strictly additive. You probably have 20A-22A available between them, so no, that PSU is not enough.

Solution
The 38A recommendation is meant to cover just about any reasonable combination of hardware that you'd expect to run with a GTX 560 Ti included.

What else is in the case that's going to be using power from that PSU?
You might be able to 'squeak by' with a PSU that no one around here is going to be too happy about.