Quick question on PSU SATA cables

wirescomingoutmyass

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hey,

new here and new to computer builds (bare with the newbie)

I have looked around but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for -- probably due to not searching the correct terminology.

I have a Corsair gs600 PSU which comes with two SATA power cables. Each SATA cable has 4 SATA connections evenly spaced along the length of the wire. My question is, can I use just the one cable for my DVD drive and SSD by using 2 SATA connections of the same cable or is it better/safer to use a cable per device? Almost definitely sure it isn't a problem and will allow the other SATA cable to be tucked away, but just wanted to be super safe by asking here.

I may as well ask a few other questions regarding the build;

I have 3 USB 2.0 Headers on my Motherboard (Asrock 870 Extreme3) The USB cable from my case can can go in any of them, yeah?

The Power LED Header on mobo has 3 connection points: 2 x PLED+ and a PLED- ...I understand it doesn't it matter which PLED+ connection I connect the PLED+ cable to?

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I dont think that the CD/DVD drive would be able to saturate the SATA cable to have any impact at all unless maybe your running with a fancy latest gen SSD Drive, but even then, it wouldnt be much overhead if any at all. My vote would be to use 1 if it can fit (Distance between HDD/DVD compared to length between first and last SATA connection)

striker410

Distinguished
Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Yes you can use a single cable for all of them. They all run on the 5v (or is it 3.3v?) line so no matter how you use the cables in any combination, the load gets distributed the same way. A single cable is fine but so is using a different cable for each device. The PSU sends power the same either way.

Yup! Just connect it to whichever is most convenient. Any of the three headers will work.

Not sure. Refer to your motherboard manual for that one. But yes it's probably fine to use either.

richardjsf

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello,

You could use different power cables so that your cables don't get twisted and pinched, I have often found that there is not enough length on one cable to do four devices, or that the cable is a bit twisted back on itself, so using multiple cables is good for this, and can possibly make inside look neater (if you are into that)
The load is dynamic though so the PSU "detects" what is required and puts the right amount of power through, you can't get it wrong because the plugs don't fit in the wrong way.

ASUS have a couple of little patented widgets that help with your case connections and USB headers, called Q connectors, if you are buying a board as a newbie they are very clearly and obviously labelled and help you get the right pins in the right place. This is a lot easier than it used to be. Good luck.

wirescomingoutmyass

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks so much buddies. Got new comp up and running and couldn't be happier.

In the end i used the one cable.

This site is great because of the community. Cheers!