Squeezing the last bit of life out of a A8N32-SLI-Deluxe (SOCKET 939)

RobinCahill

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
In short, what is the best Graphics Card I can hope to run successfully on this MOBO?

I built my gaming rig many, many years ago and it is certainly time for me to build a new one. Whilst I am saving enough cash to do this I wondered, in the interim, if it is worth picking up a DX10/11 second hand cheap graphics card off eBay? Then at least I could play modern games (current GPU is a 512MB GeForce 7950 GX2) whilst I wait. Just worried that the MOBO is only PCI-E and anything I buy will not be compatible.

My CPU is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and have 3 GB RAM.

Grateful for any edvice.

Cheers

Robin

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
the majority of cards out there will be backwards compatible to your old PCI-E. i would either go the cheap route and ebay a gtx 460 or some other good cheap old card. OR buy a very high end 580 or something like that, sure it will bottle neck on your current machine but then you can transplant it into your new one. all depends on how large your current PSU is and if you want to buy a new one now. you can pick up some 4870 radeons for 40 bucks on ebay these days if you are looking for cheap.