New 3930 K Build cooling question

booger007

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
So I decided my I7 920 was due to be replaced. I ordered a 3930k, Asus P9X79, Corsair vengeance 16G quad channel kit, and a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I am going to reuse my current video card which is an EVGA superclocked 570. I will also repurpose my existing HDD's for programs.

I may like to overclock this system, plus I do some Blu-Ray encoding which really pegs all cores and threads for an extended period of time.

The only thing I have left is cooling and a case. I am currently using a thermaltake Armor MX case and due to budget constraints ( Actually my budget is already choking to death) I would like to reuse if possible.

I am really liking the H100 but am not sure if I can make it fit in my case or not. Does anyone here use that combination? or have any ideas regarding it. I am also cosidering the H80 as it will fit in my case and the Thermaltake Archon.

I also read here that voltage regulator cooling can be affected by using water cooling. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

i think noctua DH-14 with LGA2011 compatibility is a good option.i dont like these LCS kits cause they are a bit expensive,unreliable(IMO),messy to install and are defeated by high quality air coolers.so stick with air cooling.other air coolers that support LGA2011 are-Hyper 212 EVO,thermaltake frio OCK(a monster cooler with great cooling),phantek coolers.if you want watercooling then custom cooling is best or xspc kits are good too.

booger007

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Well I just decided it was XMAS and to just go ahead anf blow up the budget a little bit and get a new case. I goot the Thermaltake Chaser and went ahead and got the H100.

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I built a 3960X system using an NZXT Havik 140, and it's working well - quiet, and keeps the CPU cool. I sent off to Noctua for the LGA 2011 brackets for a D14 I bought earlier (they took two weeks, but sent them to me for free, which is nice of them) - I might replace the Havik 140 with the D14, or save the D14 for another build.

I like air coolers - had a bad experience with water cooling in the past, although the H100 should be fine.

Enjoy your build.