did i cut the life of my cpu

jlpilkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
ok so i was moving my computer around the house. hooked it back up and everything then for over an hour my computer woudl shut off automatically for no reason. i opened the case and noticed my heat sink had dislodged it self so that it was hanging form to spots on the mobo. anyways i fixed it up and it seems to be working fine even tho it tends to lock up now.

specs
e6750
mobo-p5k-vm
1 gig ram
nvidia 8600gts

jlpilkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
i didnt replace the old TIM yet. And no none of the hold downs are damaged i checked everything that could have broken. it still running at the useal temp 40C

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Check to see if the heatsink is truly seated on the processor and clean off the old past and reapply new artic 5. 40c is a little warm for my taste. Make sure you have lots of airflow and arn't backing the case right against the wall...leave about 4 to 6 inches for good exaust behind the case.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
First, recheck everything else like video card (often moved in slot when a system is moved if the monitor cable is attached) and other cables, and if the 'sink fell against anything check that again.

You wrote seems to be working fine but locks up. How is that working fine? Monitor the temp when it locks up. Had you ever ran a stress test like Prime95 to check stability prior to this? If not, you won't know how it compares now, but you should do that now anyway and note the temp.

The problem now is that after running instable you may have file corruption on any files written in this period. To be sure you need to run chkdsk and ideally a clean install of windows, or at least a separate testbed install instead of wiping out the present install so you have a better idea if it still locks up.

It is possible in theory that the heat has damaged the CPU, that bonds are intermittent at a certain temp or that the heat spreader has popped off the core in the middle and only held down by pressure now. So yes in theory if nothing else helps it is possible the CPU is damaged. A surer sign would be trying it in another system, or ordering another CPU from a place with a good return policy so you have a 2nd CPU to try.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
no

you cpu's life is shortened by long term stress resutling in migration of materials or particles.

for instance, if you over volt over long periods there can be migration of material
or if you way over heat it you can damage the plastic or epoxy which is highly unlikly

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
no, you're fine.

IF you had an earlier amd processor, then quite simply it would have been destroyed, would have smoked, and probably would have taken the motherboard with it.

the recent p4's and duals and quads all have thermal diodes that shut the processor down in case of overheating. which, incidentally, is why your computer was shutting down. it shuts itself down BEFORE damage occurs.

jlpilkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
i foudn the sorce of my lock ups many corrupted files. i was tryign to transfer files to an external hd and it woudl shut off. just did a fresh instal. everythign works fine