Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Computer

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2011 4:14:51 PM

Hello! I've started to play SWTOR and noticed that the game runs fine when playing solo content, but in areas with many players (especially PvP Warzones), my FPS drops to a not so comfortable level.

That's why I would like to upgrade my computer so I can keep a steady FPS in Battlegrounds/Warzones and even Raids/Operations.

Here are my system specs:

The whole computer is a Dell XPS 420 (unmodified so far)

Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit
Ram: 4GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4GHz
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTX
Resolution: 1680x1050
PSU: 425W
Motherboard: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en... (Page 103)

Does anyone have any tips on what I could do? Would it be enough to upgrade my graphics card (and PSU if necessary)? According to this test, SWTOR doesn't seem to be using that much CPU power.

Thanks in advance, and please tell me if you need more information.

More about : upgrading computer

December 20, 2011 5:31:37 PM

+1 to Rokkman. It would be helpful to know your budget. Upgrading your GPU and PSU if necessary really is a no-brainer. These are two items that can be migrated to a new build when the time comes. The question to ask yourself is whether to get a card that will get you by for now, or to get a card that you can grow into (even if it is bottlenecked a bit by your CPU). Hope you're enjoying SWTOR.
December 20, 2011 5:40:31 PM

Yes, upgrading your GPU and PSU would make a big difference. Budget is necessary to determine if you go AMD or nVidia. And a 550w power supply, Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair.

Also, keep in mind that a LOT of people with high-end GPUs are complaining of low framerates in SWTOR right now. So if you upgrade, keep in mind that this is a new game that needs the kinks worked out.
Related resources
December 20, 2011 9:14:54 PM

phensen said:
+1 to Rokkman. It would be helpful to know your budget. Upgrading your GPU and PSU if necessary really is a no-brainer. These are two items that can be migrated to a new build when the time comes. The question to ask yourself is whether to get a card that will get you by for now, or to get a card that you can grow into (even if it is bottlenecked a bit by your CPU). Hope you're enjoying SWTOR.

Budget isn't too much of an issue, but I feel that I probably want a card that can perform well with my current CPU. Many people on other forums are mentioning the GTX560 TI as a good option. Would this be a good idea? As long as I can play SWTOR relatively smoothly I don't think I will need to get a new rig in a good while as I'm not really planning to play any other games in the coming years except Diablo 3 which shouldn't be too demanding.
December 20, 2011 9:18:06 PM

ringzero said:
Yes, upgrading your GPU and PSU would make a big difference. Budget is necessary to determine if you go AMD or nVidia. And a 550w power supply, Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair.

Also, keep in mind that a LOT of people with high-end GPUs are complaining of low framerates in SWTOR right now. So if you upgrade, keep in mind that this is a new game that needs the kinks worked out.

Yes, I have read that as well, but when I'm talking about FPS drops I'm talking about 40-80 FPS while soloing to 10-15 FPS in warzones... which I can only imagine is mainly an issue on my side, or is the game still so poorly optimised for many players in the same area?

Thanks everyone for your answers, what a great forum this is!
December 20, 2011 9:27:14 PM

repost
December 20, 2011 9:27:27 PM

repost
December 20, 2011 9:28:44 PM

repost
December 20, 2011 9:28:52 PM

repost
December 20, 2011 9:31:56 PM

Wow, sorry for the the ridiculous reposts, the forum was acting strangely when I replied. Is there any way I can delete the extra posts?

Still, thanks very much for your helpful input!
!