Sign in with
Your question

Computer Crapped out. Help

Last response: in Motherboards
February 1, 2013 6:00:37 PM

Hi

My computer crapped out the other day. For the last few months I been having trouble with my monitor where if I did not turn on my monitor before I turned on the computer it would never show anything on the screen.

The day when my computer crapped out I noticed the text looked more dull. I continued to use my computer fine for the entire day. I then had to leave for a few hours and I turned off my monitor but left the computer on(I do have a good surge protector and the light says it still if functioning). When I came back the monitor would not turn on so I had to do a reboot and then that's when the problems started. I just got an infinite reboot loop. I thought the power supply finally crapped out. I tried to unplug as many thing as I can(even the harddrive). I noticed that the text all of sudden was alot sharper but still got the an infinite reboot(always at the point it was checking to see if I had any cdroms to boot from)

I immediately thought it was the power supply so I had it tested and it is fine. I did not believe it as thought maybe the power watts where good but something else could be wrong so I bought a new power supply(will be returning it now).

I plugged it in and hooked it up to all my computer parts(to make it just run) and turned it on and same thing just infinite reboot loop. I then thought maybe my ssd drive crapped out so I unplugged it and just tried to boot up my windows 7 disk. It started to load the disk but then went into reboot mode(some times the computer just turned off).

I then thought maybe it is one of my 4 sticks of ram. So I took out all the ram and put one by one in. Again same problem infinite reboot loop.

I am not out of ideas on what to try. I don't have any spare motherboards or cpus and not sure if I should run out and buy a stick of ram on the off chance the all 4 sticks are dead.

I was going to bring it ncix to get it looked at as they said $30 the day before(when I brought in my power supply) to check it out but now today they are saying the guy I talked to made a mistake and it would be $80/hr and I probably looking at at least 2 hours but could be 5 hours(though they say the usually cap at 2).

Not sure if it is worth it. If they tell me that it is the cpu then I probably will get a new cpu and motherboard right away. If it is the motherboard I probably would get a new cpu anyways.

But of course if I replace those and the computer still does not work then I am out of alot of money.

Specs

• Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHZ 2.80Ghz
  • Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P35-DS3L
  • 4GB - Cosair I think (4 x 1 gb)
  • ATI Radeon HD 3850 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
  • Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM
  • Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR180GB 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
  • Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower
  • More about : computer crapped

a c 108 V Motherboard
    February 1, 2013 11:49:28 PM

The first thing I can think of is your CPU. Seeing as you've got some old parts in your system, it wouldn't surprise me to see that your thermal paste has dried up. This could cause your system to overheat. The CPU has a limit to the temperature. Meaning if it reaches this temp, your system will restart or shut down. This may explain why you're boot looping. Check this out first, because thermal paste will only cost you about $5.

If you do need to reapply, make sure you thoroughly clean the CPU and heatsink prior to reapplying new paste. Use 95%+ Isopropyl alcohol and dry the parts with a paper towel. Make sure you don't get any paste or alcohol on to any other parts.

If after doing the above steps, try our troubleshooting guide. You can follow the link to it from my signature.
    m
    l
    February 2, 2013 1:12:08 AM

Ya the thermal paste seems like it dried up. I do have an arctic air on the the cpu as the cooling. The thing though is I was able to run a full memtest+ on it without it reboot but as soon as I try to load up windows it goes into the loop.

I know when I did not have the arctic fan on top of the cpu it seemed like I could only do about 1% of the test before my computer just shutdown. When I put the arctic air on it I was able to run the whole exam.

I am not sure if that was coincidence. I would not think the cpu would over heat in the matter of a min especially since the case is open.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b V Motherboard
    a b C Monitor
    February 2, 2013 3:48:46 AM

Can you try a Linux live cd? That is my favorite test when windows will not boot.
    m
    l
    February 2, 2013 4:13:26 AM

start with the easy stuff first. But if the CPU fan is not turning on then start from scratch.

1.Reset your bios. the clr_cmos on gigabyte boards is right next to the battery.If you dont have a jumper use a NON MAGNETIC screwdriver with an INSULATED handle

2. get a new cmos battery(5$), if that battery is dead then no boot. And it could be if you system was under powered.

3. disconnect everything and try to boot from an ubuntu usb installer from an onboard usb. this will give error codes that you can look up, if you get the famed purple screen then death then its a power issue.

If that fails then start from scratch
    Turn off the power. Remove all peripherals, connecting cables, and
    power cord etc.
    Check for loose screws under mobo incase of a short circuit.
    rebuild the board with new thermal paste and test each memory stick with both channels until it boots.

One other thing if everything seems to be running but nothing on the screen (like your keyboard allows you to turn numlock on and off) then make sure that GPU is all the way in the slot. Some boards have a slider or gripper ont he end that you have to move or push hard to get past.
    m
    l
    !