Closed Solved

Micro-Stuttering

Hi I'm building a new PC I was going for two Nvidia cards in SLI but I'm afraid of the micro stuttering issue. since I haven't used or played on a PC with SLI/xFire Graphics I dont know how bad is this micro stuttering, should I go for three our four GPUs like TOM's article said? (PowerColor 6870 x2 three way xFire or four way) . help me please.
36 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about micro stuttering
  1. I personally would go with HD6950 2 way crossfire rather than 3 or 4 x HD6870!
  2. rolli59 said:
    I personally would go with HD6950 2 way crossfire rather than 3 or 4 x HD6870!

but two ways suffer from micro stuttering which I dont know how bad it is, and how noticeable. I'd go for two 580s if I go for a two way.

I just wanna know how bad is micro stuttering
  3. The micro stuttering was a lot lower with 6950's than the 6870's in crossfire. The micro-stutter problem could mainly be a 6800 issue as the tests did not test anything but those two cards for AMD.
  4. bystander said:
    The micro stuttering was a lot lower with 6950's than the 6870's in crossfire. The micro-stutter problem could mainly be a 6800 issue as the tests did not test anything but those two cards for AMD.

what about two 580s?
  5. well ive been working with 2- and 3 wai crossfire all this years

with hd5850 to hd6970

and i could tell that like in the article its not in all game the fact is

that at a mid fps rate you will get micro-stutering because the fps ratio is not even

its could pass in a blink of an eye from 30 to 20 fps 1 of 2 frame

but hoever its not suffering more you do a good fps ratio you wont see it

exemple crysis 2 whit 2-gtx580 25-50 fps youll see micro-stutering

most game under it you wont fell micro-s since you will be over 40 fps all the time so the micro-s will drop at 30 at lowest so still fluid and no stutering
    myself i have gone whit 3xhd6970 just for that no micro-s at all not even in crysis 2 since my lowest fps is 45

for the price of about 2x580gtx
  6. is is on a big screen if you have a little resolution your fps goes up big screen fps goes down drasticly
  7. shahrooz said:
    what about two 580s?

The testing in the article did not have problems with a 590, which is essentially two 580's in SLI but on a single card and downclocked.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

One problem with this article is that it tests a very small range of cards and makes some assumptions based on too little info. It is a good start, but more cards should have been tested.
  8. bystander said:
    The testing in the article did not have problems with a 590, which is essentially two 580's in SLI but on a single card and downclocked.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

One problem with this article is that it tests a very small range of cards and makes some assumptions based on too little info. It is a good start, but more cards should have been tested.

yeah, I agree with you in that point. the article is not complete that's why I'm confused.

in the benchmarks PowerColor 6870x2 in xfire is like 580 SLI and I dont know which one should I go for :(
  9. The latest Tom's hardware article on microstutter proved a few points...

1. 2-way crossfirex with 6870 or lower suffers from micro stutter quite badly

2. Cards more powerful than 6870 seem okay

3. 3-way crossfirex greatly reduces microstutter to single-card levels.

If I were you, I would go with one HD6870x2 card and one 6870 standalone and corssfire them. You get 3-way 6870 crossfire with two total PCBs and no microstutter.
  10. totally correct like i said with 2x580 at a mid resolution in almost no game he will have micro-s
    but on a eyefinity setup or something like that(my case)
    a 590 or 2x580 is at the 30 to 40 ratio so micro-s could COULD be a probleme on a big big resolution

1024-1080 reso its will be enough for covering the issue

but i would appreciate more card test since all card are not handle the same way
  11. lozz08 said:
    The latest Tom's hardware article on microstutter proved a few points...

1. 2-way crossfirex with 6870 or lower suffers from micro stutter quite badly

2. Cards more powerful than 6870 seem okay

3. 3-way crossfirex greatly reduces microstutter to single-card levels.

If I were you, I would go with one HD6870x2 card and one 6870 standalone and corssfire them. You get 3-way 6870 crossfire with two total PCBs and no microstutter.

yea I agree.

In the time being I'm starting to change my opinion to three way crossfire as you said. since 508 SLI is not included in the test and is risky, but three way 6870 has passed its test.
  12. wirzy said:
    totally correct like i said with 2x580 at a mid resolution in almost no game he will have micro-s
    but on a eyefinity setup or something like that(my case)
    a 590 or 2x580 is at the 30 to 40 ratio so micro-s could COULD be a probleme on a big big resolution

1024-1080 reso its will be enough for covering the issue

but i would appreciate more card test since all card are not handle the same way

I play on 1080p res
  13. if you have a big resolution to handle i will sugest yyou to goe with nothing less then what have 1.5g vram

since with crysis2 and some other game for all the eye candy 1gb become less and less futur proof

so if im correct the 6870 is out of the deal
  14. wirzy said:
    if you have a big resolution to handle i will sugest yyou to goe with nothing less then what have 1.5g vram

since with crysis2 and some other game for all the eye candy 1gb become less and less futur proof

so if im correct the 6870 is out of the deal

according to the benchmarks four 6870s with total memory of 4GB outperforms 580SLI @ 1080p in most of the tests and three of them is a just a little weaker than 580s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-10.html
  15. (If I were you, I would go with one HD6870x2 card and one 6870 standalone and corssfire them. You get 3-way 6870 crossfire with two total PCBs and no microstutter.) quote

assure yourself to have a mobo that do 16x/8x at least not 8x/8x incrossfire are you will be getting a 4x/4x/8x crossfire a lot of loose power

but with a 16x/8x mobo you'll get a 8x/8x/8x crossfire
  16. the crossfire dont add the ram if you have three card whith 1gb still done crossfire at 1gb lol
  17. wirzy said:
    (If I were you, I would go with one HD6870x2 card and one 6870 standalone and corssfire them. You get 3-way 6870 crossfire with two total PCBs and no microstutter.) quote

assure yourself to have a mobo that do 16x/8x at least not 8x/8x incrossfire are you will be getting a 4x/4x/8x crossfire a lot of loose power

but with a 16x/8x mobo you'll get a 8x/8x/8x crossfire

good point I should keep that in mind.
  18. the vram are just in mirror less error but still 1gb of vram for futur title on hd
  19. wirzy said:
    the crossfire dont add the ram if you have three card whith 1gb still done crossfire at 1gb lol

I see, I'm just saying benchmarks are good @ 1080p.
  20. i think the 6870 was made whit one and 2gb version of the card ?
  21. yeah i know but keep in mind that futur title bf3 and all incoming skyrim :) is not benched yet and we never know what is coming so now ill let you decide whit other point of view chow
  22. last point jus let you know that i have pass from a 3-way crossfire 5850 to a 3-way 6970 for this reason
    trouble with eyefinity and eyecandy at 1gb

1.5 have been enough but still want more futur proof

so for now 1gb become little by little alreay to less
  23. wirzy said:
    last point jus let you know that i have pass from a 3-way crossfire 5850 to a 3-way 6970 for this reason
    trouble with eyefinity and eyecandy at 1gb

1.5 have been enough but still want more futur proof

so for now 1gb become little by little alreay to less

how can I go for three cards? does xFire drivers support three way or you used something else?
  24. on the understand the question are you need to be informed lol

you can crossfire up to 4 card (pcb)with the good mobo
  25. i mean you plug the card one by one and the driver will do the job for basic config up to four card
  26. wirzy said:
    on the understand the question are you need to be informed lol

you can crossfire up to 4 card (pcb)with the good mobo

tom's said:

"Bearing in mind that vendors purposely try to price two mid-range cards similarly to a faster single-GPU board wherever possible (generally, when the competitive landscape allows for it), we’d have to pick the single-GPU card every time. The three-way setup based on a trio of mid-range cards is the pièce de résistance. But AMD and Nvidia also know this, and purposely handicap their less-expensive boards with just one bridge, limiting configurations to two boards. The way around this, PowerColor's Radeon HD 6870 X2 bears its own significant price premium. It's also not a quiet board, and it requires a bit of faith on your part to trust that CrossFire profiles will continue to incorporate support."

I was just talking based on this article I'm not an expert nor acknowledged in SLI or Crossfire that's why I'm asking you guys :)
  27. I have two 5770's in crossfire and have never noticed the micro-stuttering phenomenon, and I game daily.
  28. Best answer
    tarticle are talking about a special model of a 6870 x2 on the same board its not the same thing then the 6890 its a full version of a 6870 crossfire bt on the same board that mean

that you need a mobo that is at least like i said before 16x/8x pci line cause the card

6870x2 will split the pci for the 2 gpu but i will suggest you to go

if you can whit 3 individual card always more power less heat generated by one board but

you will need adequate psu and cooling the get all the hot aire out at least 1000w to 1200w for a
    3-way crossfire

but the 6870x2 special board the article said that the support since its specifique to this model could be dropped in futur driver so really a big risk in futr go whit 2x580 or 3 6950 2gb my advice :)
  29. I have two 5770's in crossfire and have never noticed the micro-stuttering phenomenon, and I game daily.
    qote

res men resoltion big 1080 and higher and the game type do all the micro-s issue
  30. Best answer selected by shahrooz.
  31. and its an issue restricted to a mid zone fps rate so under you get stutering for lag since your fps is to low you dont see MICRO-s you STUTERING lol

over the mid zone not stutering at all
  32. wirzy said:
    and its an issue restricted to a mid zone fps rate so under you get stutering for lag since your fps is to low you dont see MICRO-s you STUTERING lol

over the mid zone not stutering at all

one more thing don't lol at someone who is seeking information :non:
  33. i lol beuse i really laugh in my office not from a bad ass point of view but for making a situation less heavy

but next time i will choose more carefully the way i express that

the fact is that what make me laugh is the guy (not this one the one in my mind)

who is heavy lagguing is game like 10 15 fps i say i dont see micro-s

no you see big STUTERING lol

no you see i wrote what you could see if you where talking whit me here its not a bad game its to point the point whit less weight
  34. wirzy said:
    i lol beuse i really laugh in my office not from a bad ass point of view but for making a situation less heavy

but next time i will choose more carefully the way i express that

the fact is that what make me laugh is the guy (not this one the one in my mind)

who is heavy lagguing is game like 10 15 fps i say i dont see micro-s

no you see big STUTERING lol

no you see i wrote what you could see if you where talking whit me here its not a bad game its to point the point whit less weight

ok I got that LOL :D
  35. but i give yo the fact that whitout a face behind the lol its hard to tell if its a joke or not
  36. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Nvidia Graphics