Next best/logical upgrade for my system?

Was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what the next best upgrade would be for my current PC? Current specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 750
Motherboard: EVGA P55 SLI
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Graphics: 2x Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 SP's
Power Supply: Antec 850 Watt
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1 TB
Sound Card: HT Omega Striker
Case: Coolermaster Storm Sniper

To me the logical thing to do would be either upgrade my graphics card to a single 560Ti/570 or something else worthy over SLI or upgrade my hard drive to a SSD. I wish I could do both, but lacking funds at the moment I cannot. So what do you guys think would be my best option? Thanks for the help!
6 answers Last reply
More about next best logical upgrade system
  1. Upgrading to an SSD would make sense (you'd need to back up any critical data and reformat both drives first) but that's definitely a good idea.

Although what cooler are you using? You could invest in a good CPU cooler and OC your 750 to 4+GHz and beyond, and that would be a huge improvement as well.
  2. I'm actually using a Noctua NH-C14 which is sort of a waste because I don't really know much about overclocking. Great cooler though!
  3. shady06 said:
    I'm actually using a Noctua NH-C14 which is sort of a waste because I don't really know much about overclocking. Great cooler though!

Yeah I'm still learning the ropes for OC'ing - it's not easy. :lol:
  4. It's funny, but there's nothing in your build that's overtly bogging you down.

SSD would probably make the most NOTICEABLE difference.
    I kinda doubt you'd notice a big difference by upgrading your two 260s to a 560, maybe not even a 570. Can anyone else confirm?

You might even consider your CPU. It looks to be about a 2-year-old processor and the newer chips are supposed to be prreettttyyy nice.
  5. ringzero said:
    It's funny, but there's nothing in your build that's overtly bogging you down.

SSD would probably make the most NOTICEABLE difference.
    I kinda doubt you'd notice a big difference by upgrading your two 260s to a 560, maybe not even a 570. Can anyone else confirm?

You might even consider your CPU. It looks to be about a 2-year-old processor and the newer chips are supposed to be prreettttyyy nice.

Are you talking SB or newer 1156? The P55 is still a good chipset - it's no X58 or Z68 but it's still pretty good for what it was, no question.

You might be right on the video card though - two 260s are about equivalent performance to what a single 470 brings. Still pretty good GPUs though.
  6. Thanks for the suggestions and replies guys, I really appreciate it. I am pretty satisfied with my computer right now, but was just curious if I did decide to upgrade something where I should do so. CPU + mobo might be an option, but I was going to wait on Ivy Bridge to see how it compared with Sandy Bridge before going that route. I am not really having many problems running any games that I do play (SWTOR, WoW, BF3, MW3), but I do notice in BF3 when a lot of stuff is going on my FPS does dip some into the 30s, but it is still very much playable. I kind of figured SSD would be the best bet for something noticeable, but wanted to be sure.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems