BIOS problem

rogerpb

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Re BIOS

If you google "a device in parentheses has been been disabled in the corresponding type menu" you will find hundreds of references to the problem but never an answer. I have an Asus motherboard with an AMI Bios, version 1211 from 15.10.2008, and I am trying, so far in vain, to get my pc to boot from a USB stick. I would have presumed that this should be possible, given the date of the BIOS, but a search of the AMI page, various BIOS manuals, and internet sites, has provided not even a clue. All the alternatives in my boot menu are in parentheses, and nowhere can I discover how or where to amend the "corresponding type menu".

There seems to be a conspiracy of silence among the BIOS producers....

rogerpb

rogerpb

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I thought I had replied to this, but my answer is missing. I repeat.
The only option on booting the AMI Bios is Delete. This takes one to the BIOS setup,where one finds two options, , Alt* F2, a system recovery option, and f8, which goes to "BBS" a boot set up which seems no different to what comes if you don't use f8.

The options, as ever, are all in parentheses, but I discovered something I had previously not known. If you go to the option Hard Discs you get a choice of HD1 (My Samsung drive), or HD2. If a USB stick is inserted before you boot the bios set- up this is recognized as HD2. Similarly, if I have a 2.5 external drive inserted instead of the USB stick, this is recognized as HD2. However you can redefine which is HD1 and which is HD2

So the answer to my problem, which I have never seen on the Internet, is that your options are determined by what is plugged in when you switch on. With appropriate juggling I can set the bios to start from the hard disk, the external hard disk, a DVD, or a USB stick.

However, when it comes to choosing the pecking order you can only include HD1 or HD2 in the list of five start options, but not both.

Nevertheless the business with the parentheses is complete nonsense!

rahalver

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Roger, Not sure if this letter I am writing is being made public or private... new to this. I am having same problem, but cannot seem to find these two hard drive choices. It would be great to converse with you further to figure this out. I am trying to install ubuntu with external flash drive.