Sign in with
Your question

Video out, 1 long 3 short beeps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2011 4:07:02 PM

Hello, last week my pc started doing this: when it wants doesn't matter if i do something one it or not the video signal is lost and the pc freezes. Now if i hit the reset button video is still out and i hear 1 long beep followed by 3 short ones, if i shut down the pc and power it back on it boots normally and will die out again at some point. I've searched the problem but got multiple answers, either the video card has a problem or the ram or the psu. I don't have other spares for either of the 3 so i can't test out plus it does that when it wants not when i want.
I'm guessing it's the video card as that's what dies out first but want to be sure. What do you guys think and what would you recommend to do for testing ?

More about : video long short beeps

October 23, 2011 4:14:16 PM

PC config: Asus P5KR, Q6600 2,4 ghz, Leadtek 8800GT, Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D, Thermaltake TR2-550w psu and also it's more than 3 years old and has been running almost every day and night since purchased.

sry i had to double post but i forgot to add this info and for some reason it doesn't let me edit my message, keeps saying i'm not allower to edit this message.
a c 253 U Graphics card
October 23, 2011 4:46:27 PM

One thing you can try is to take out all the ram and put one stick in the first slot and see what happens and then try them all one at a time. If no success then most likly its your video card and it is either gone or not getting enough power to stay on. If you have the motherboard manual in the back under trouble shooting it will tell you what the beeps mean. In my motherboard manual one long beep followed by three short beeps means no vga detected. So it is a good chance it's your video card.
!