Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BitFenix Colossus fans?

Last response: in Components
March 26, 2012 9:40:35 AM

so i just bought this colossus, and today got my mobo and psu. the p8z68 v pro and the corsair hx 850 watt, respectively.

just mounted the mobo ( i know i shouldnt have but im excited even though i have no other parts for it ahha) and the psu and hotwired it all to check functioning.

the fans turned on. those big *** off fans. but they just hum! and spin at about 100 revs a minute! its pathetic?
i bridged the green wire to the black and turned it all on. the case lights up (my god its beautiful) but the fans are dismal! i can touch them basically without hurtng myfingers at all.

anyway so have i done something wrong? is there any way the fans can underperform? i connected them both to the colossus's fan hub like i should have.

wtf is going on!?

More about : bitfenix colossus fans

a b ) Power supply
March 26, 2012 12:22:45 PM

Have you tried pressing than fan button on the PWM fan controller to speed things up?
m
l
March 26, 2012 12:42:57 PM

well i dialed the knob all the way up and down. turns out it was all the way up anyway. its just so slow!
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 6:55:26 AM

Connect the fans to the molex to have them on at full power. They only run at 900rpm (At 12Volts). They aren't supposed to spin like 120mm fans, where they can cut your fingers off. Although you can insert your fingers without damaging them, that's how they are designed, and still push a larger amount of air because of the larger length of the blades.

With bigger fans, it requires less rpm to push the same amount of air than a smaller fan.
m
l
March 27, 2012 9:10:02 AM

yeah im starting to realise that they actually were functioning. just doesnt feel like they are going to do much. no matter i was always gonna yank them anyway to put a couple of radiators in there.
m
l

Best solution

March 27, 2012 9:20:44 AM

Well, the 230mm Spectre pushes just under 100CFM at full speed. It's more dispersed and all around (which is why you don't feel much), unlike 120mm fans at 100cfm where it's more direct because of the shorter blades creating a narrower channel of air (making it "feel" like there's more air being pushed around) [You can also compare static pressure of these fans to give you the "feel" of how much air is being pushed around, but CFM is the total amount of air pushed]

Anyways, good luck and have fun with your radiators. Hopefully we'll see some pictures either here or our FB page.
March 27, 2012 9:42:08 AM

Best answer selected by maxmatlock13.
m
l
!