zavior

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: this week, ASAP

Budget Range: $1400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Programming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, up for suggestions though

Parts Preferences: I would like an Intel Processor and nVidia graphics card, but also up for suggestions

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

I'm currently looking at this setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.789290

and adding this graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595

I'm just wondering if I'm getting my moneys worth for a gaming machine and or if I could squeeze more performance out of it or even reducing the cost while not suffering performance.

Thanks!

zavior

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I've been reading a bit lately and it seems like the Intel i5 2500 is the way to go for the CPU, and that for gaming at least it's just as good as the i7? Something about games not being able to use the 4 virtual threads on the i7?

steadywaters

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
That is certainly a good way to jump right in but a few points to consider:

1. For gaming, the i5-2500K will perform just as well as the i7-2600K, which could mean savings of ~$100.

2. If you are getting an unlock CPU (especially an i5-2500K or i7-2600K), there is no "maybe" for overclocking - it's just too easy to milk more performance out of these chips.

3. Going down the overclocking route, you'd want an aftermarket CPU cooler. Popular choices such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or Noctua NH-D14 won't play well with the tall heatsinks of the Corsair RAM in that combo.

4. Or, you can stick with the combo and that graphics card and pick up a closed water-cooling unit from Corsair.

steadywaters

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Yes that memory would have no problems with the CM Hyper 212 EVO.

Here are some options if you insist on getting the bundle (which I honestly believe is a pretty solid combo):

1. Move the fan on the EVO to "pull" position, or

2. Get the low profile RAM and sell the ones with high heatsinks (most likely less for market value), or

3. Get a closed watercooling unit.