Sign in with
Your question

Fan on Motherboard- broken piece

Last response: in Motherboards
February 1, 2013 10:26:41 PM

I have an M5A97 and I am currently assembling it at the moment; I attached an AMD Phenom ii x4 to it and then went to put on the fan. While using the latches that can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNb7yrKNhqA one them broke and because of the thermal paste, the fan/heatsink is stuck to the CPU which is intern attached to the Motherboard and I am skeptical I could get them off in returnable condition.

Would super glue be an option/is there any other alternative, or should I just stop what I am doing and explain the situation to Newegg?

Also, the latch that broke would be facing the bottom when the motherboard is installed into the case right side up (standing) so the tension would not be placed on the broken area. The PSU fan will be exhausting out the bottom so I was going to keep the computer on its side where the fan would be facing the sky in which case gravity would not be working against it.

I appreciate any help.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 10:41:59 PM

The PSU fan will be exhausting out the bottom? Double check that - it should be drawing air IN from the bottom and exhausting out the back.
February 1, 2013 10:48:44 PM

DarkSable said:
The PSU fan will be exhausting out the bottom? Double check that - it should be drawing air IN from the bottom and exhausting out the back.

That's correct it seems, still, I don't think I'll orient my computer upwards.
!