Sign in with
Your question

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Q_Code error and 4pin EATX12V_2 question

Last response: in Motherboards
February 1, 2013 11:47:55 PM

Okay. We're bread boarding as I type and there are a few things that me and my friend need to know.

Our problem is with the CPU. We've determined this through the corresponding error light on the motherboard that is located right by the 20+4pin header. We cannot figure out why this is happening. The computer won't boot when everything is properly installed. All of the fans (except for the PSU fan) work, but only for a few minutes. When we only plug in the 20pin to the 20+4pin header, we still get the same problem.

For one, on the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, there is a 4pin header titled EATX12V_2. We have the 8pin plugged into its corresponding header and the 20+4pin plugged into its corresponding header. The power supply did not include a separate 4pin plug and the 4pin header on the board is left empty. I was posting in another thread earlier and saw that people weren't sure if you needed to have the EATX12V_2 filled or not to supply full power.

So my question is: Do we need another 4pin plug to run from the PSU to the EATX12V_2 to supply full power to my board?

Much appreciation! (:
February 2, 2013 12:01:41 AM

OP here, I forgot the throw in the question about the Q_Code. We get the Q_Code 10, which we already determined, but we don't know what the Q_Code F.F. means.
a c 111 Ĉ ASUS
a c 431 V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 12:05:45 AM

ff is the end of post or good post. yes you need the 4 pin connected. most new modular power supplys the 8 pin connector can be snapped or taken apart. if you look closely there should be a seam in the 8 pin connector or a clip. most times the connector slips apart. if not it ok to fit it in so only 1/2 of the 8 pin connector fits.
http://www.asus.com/ROG/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/#gallery
the 8 pin pci plug is the black plug on top of the board on this mb.
also look at the bios lable at the end of the ser# see if it close to 13xx the last bios for this mb if not use the usb flashback and flash the bios.
the extv2 and v1 ports are the same on that mb per the mb user guild page 22.
Related resources
February 2, 2013 12:19:29 AM

smorizio said:
ff is the end of post or good post. yes you need the 4 pin connected. most new modular power supplys the 8 pin connector can be snapped or taken apart. if you look closely there should be a seam in the 8 pin connector or a clip. most times the connector slips apart. if not it ok to fit it in so only 1/2 of the 8 pin connector fits.
http://www.asus.com/ROG/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/#gallery
the 8 pin pci plug is the black plug on top of the board on this mb.
also look at the bios lable at the end of the ser# see if it close to 13xx the last bios for this mb if not use the usb flashback and flash the bios.
the extv2 and v1 ports are the same on that mb per the mb user guild page 22.

We split the 8pin and tried all possible configurations and it's still doing the same thing. Could it be that we need to use the 4pin that's on the 20+4pin plug?
a c 111 Ĉ ASUS
a c 431 V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 4:34:23 AM

look at the ser# lable on the mb. see if the last 4 numbers are near Crosshair V Formula-Z BIOS 1302
Fixed F8 function is abnormal under fastboot. (1302) if there not use a fat 32 formatted usb stick and use the rog usb flashback port and update your bios.your mb bios may be to old to post with the cpu/ram combo.
February 8, 2013 2:59:01 AM

You only need the 8pin and the 24 pin, the other 4 pin by the ram slots provides extra power to ram for better overclocking, but is not necessary, also the 4pin molex is not needed. You should clear the cmos by pressing the clear cmos button on the back of the motherboard by the usb ports, if not make a flash stick with a bios file on it and use the flash back feature, read about it in the manual. If that does not work press the go button any see if that works.
Good Luck
!