Sign in with
Your question

Replaced motherboard - working but strange quirks

Last response: in Memory
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 1:12:39 AM

I have an old Compaq SR5010 that I accidentally burned out the motherboard on.

Since I do not have very much practical experience in replacing motherboards, I decided to go ahead and replace to as somewhat of a learning experience more then anything else.

System specs:

Motherboard: Asrock G41M-S3
CPU: Intel Celeron D 360 (I know)
RAM: 2 x 1066 MHz 2GB Mushkin DDR3
Hard disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 - 7200 RPM 160GB SATA
CDROM: LG GSA-H20L

Removing the old board went well with no major issues. I removed the CPU and put it on the new board. The back plate on the heatsink insulation looks alittle thin considering that the new board has through hole solder points underneath the CPU instead of nearly flat so I insulated the plate with some tape.

I inserted some RAM and booted it up and it POST'ed and I set up the bios settings.
I tried booting a Linux live CD and it worked out so I connected the hard disk and booted Vista (so far it has not complained about activation).

On startup, it installed a boat load of drivers (as expected) but the graphics driver would not install so I had to go to the intel website and download the G41 video drivers. I had a fairly hard time getting them to install but finally got it.

Now for the issues:
The power LED does not work at all

When I put the computer into suspend, the monitor goes black and hard disk spins down but the CPU and
case fan continue to spin which defeats the purpose of standby.

The case fan will not vary speed depending on temperature like the old board but I think this is by design.

And the most irritating thing: Random freezes. It will hard freeze requiring turning it off with the power button at random times but it happens more often when playing flash video. I can even play 3d games like rigs of rods and it did not freeze in ~15 minutes of play time but it just froze when I was about to download Prime95.

Any ideas?

Thanks

--edit--
I just noticed I put this in the wrong forum. Sorry. If a moderator comes by, please move it to *Motherboards*
February 2, 2013 10:24:34 AM

yeah I had similar issues with the CPU fan crap, it was sooo annoying, I think there's a topic on here somewhere aswell, it happened when I replaced the CPU, I just (stupidly) unplugged it while the system was booting and plugged it back in and it fixed it permenantly, probably not the best fix but worked for me

also have you tried re-installing windows? I had a few other little problems after installing a new 775 board(I had like 4 total), re-installing windows seemed to just fix everything
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 10:33:26 AM

You can't just change motherboards and plug in the harddrive. You will have all sorts of driver conflicts and problems. You need to wipe the drive and properly install windows
m
l
Related resources
a c 85 } Memory
a c 468 V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 10:39:31 AM

the powerled..see if the plus and - are on the wrong pins. also with new mb make sure you flash the bios to the newest rev so all the bug fixes are patched. on my new msi mb in the fan set up in the bios there was a setting to stop the cpu fan. see if there a setting like that to stop or slow the fans down. they could be set to full on 100 percent. also check that you have the cpu fan plugged into the cpu header. also check to see if the mb has 3 or 4 pins on the fan headers. most 4 pin header are for PWM speed controlled fans.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 12:25:26 PM

Did your replace the ASRock G41M-S3 with an ASRock G41M-S3 ?

If not, if you have an OEM OS, you have violated the EULA.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 4:11:51 PM

Wow, A ton of replys.

Quote:

yeah I had similar issues with the CPU fan crap, it was sooo annoying, I think there's a topic on here somewhere aswell, it happened when I replaced the CPU, I just (stupidly) unplugged it while the system was booting and plugged it back in and it fixed it permenantly, probably not the best fix but worked for me

That is very strange. I don't really see how that would fix it but you never know I guess?
Quote:

also have you tried re-installing windows? I had a few other little problems after installing a new 775 board(I had like 4 total), re-installing windows seemed to just fix everything

That would probably be the best solution. The problem is, I lost the windows disk.

Quote:

You can't just change motherboards and plug in the harddrive. You will have all sorts of driver conflicts and problems. You need to wipe the drive and properly install windows

So far most things have worked pretty well. I am posting from it now.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Quote:

Quote:

the powerled..see if the plus and - are on the wrong pins.

It is a modular plug which contains the power led, hdd led and power button. It can only be plugged in one way.
Quote:

also with new mb make sure you flash the bios to the newest rev so all the bug fixes are patched.

The BIOS version is 1.40 and the newest is 1.50. I am a bed scared to flash it but I guess I will have to bite the bullet.
Quote:

on my new msi mb in the fan set up in the bios there was a setting to stop the cpu fan. see if there a setting like that to stop or slow the fans down. they could be set to full on 100 percent. also check that you have the cpu fan plugged into the cpu header. also check to see if the mb has 3 or 4 pins on the fan headers. most 4 pin header are for PWM speed controlled fans.

There are some BIOS settings for slowing the CPU fan. I will try them. The case fan plug is only a 3 pin plug.

Quote:

Did your replace the ASRock G41M-S3 with an ASRock G41M-S3 ?

No. I replaced the OEM motherboard which completely failed and is no longer available at all.
Quote:

If not, if you have an OEM OS, you have violated the EULA.

So far the activation has not complained though ;) 
I am aware that I violated a absurdly idiotic clause.
Quite frankly, I do not care since I am not pirating nor somehow cheating Microsoft out money. I simply replaced a hardware component that failed.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2013 2:48:36 AM

Update: Strangely enough, updating flash player seems to have stopped the freezing.
m
l
!