Is this computer adequate?

EnterOrion

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I've been planning a new system for quite a while, and I recently shaved off more than $400 due to limited money, what with the economy and all. I need to make sure it's still up to snuff in terms of gaming ability, and whether I need to make adjustments.

I have the RAM (16GB), PSU (850W), and hard drive (2TB) already (all of which are overkill, but meh, I'd rather have too much than too little).

I plan on using the following:

i5-2500K
Radeon HD 6950
This motherboard (MSI P67)
This case (Antec Mid-tower)
And Windows 7 home premium

The DVD player is pretty irrelevant, as I'll probably only use it once. I plan on doing overclocking at some point in the future, but I'll buy water cooling for when that day comes. As it is now, I'll just be using stock.

So, will this rig work for playing games such as BF3, Skyrim, FSX, and Shogun II: TW with at least medium graphics? Also, I'm not missing anything important, am I? I don't want to have a system that won't even turn on, after all.

(I already have monitor (1440x900), mouse, and keyboard)

EnterOrion

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
It looks good to me but if you want to over clock you might want to get a thrid party cpu cooler like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] =evo%20212

Will it take me to 4.5GHz? If so, that's probably a cheaper alternative to water cooling.

As well the radeon is over kill for those game at only medium you should be able to run on high just fine look at this benchmark http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 063-8.html

Lol that's well above even my monitor refresh rate. That should be perfect.

madchemist83

Distinguished
That GPu will be overkill for ur resolution even at ultra settings
Evo cooler will be good for moderate oc .. 4.0-4.2
also that case is a good budget case .. but consider getting something a bit better for better airflow and lower temps .. like even 300 Illusion .. comes with extra fans
so what is your budget for that upgrade ?

EnterOrion

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
That GPu will be overkill for ur resolution even at ultra settings

Good.

also that case is a good budget case .. but consider getting something a bit better for better airflow and lower temps .. like even 300 Illusion .. comes with extra fans

That seems like a better deal with the extra fans (the more, the merrier, right?). Definitely switching.