Graphics Drivers + Native Resolution

mcdreamy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Last night my computer restarted and after XP loads, I get "Input not Supported". After a while of messing with it, I uninstalled the drivers in Safe Mode and was able to boot fine. I installed the latest drivers and it works again. However, my native resolution isn't available, nor when I try to "List all modes".

I had this issue last year when I tried updating my drivers and it took away my native, so I put my old ones back on and it worked. I tried that today but no luck. I also installed the drivers to my monitor.

I have a 9800GT and Acer AL1916W, running VGA from monitor to DVI adapter into the video card.

Any ideas? When I try to add a "custom resolution" in the Nvidia control panel, the 1440x900 resolution looks really goofy.

Hello... the Max supported resolution of your monitor 1440x900@75HZ in ANALOG... correct? well... from my experience I have alway run monitors with success at 60HZ... Try changing that... also there is no driver for your Monitor... it is a passive device... your disk just gives naming details and should fill in the Resolution data... I have never had good results with a analog monitor above 60HZ... but also I have never run a monitor at 1440x900... also you should be set at 32 bit color.

Also you should go to Control Panel-NVidia control panel-Change resolution... there is where you will have control of your video card output and any information about your monitor reporting to your Video card/NVidia software for your card.

mcdreamy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Oops, I should have mentioned that. I'm trying to get back to 1440x900, 60Hz is what I ran. After a BSOD last night, I was unable to get back to my desktop so I ran it in safe mode and uninstalled the video driver and it worked.

I installed the latest driver and it worked, but my native resolution wasn't there. I tried about 3 previous versions and still the same thing.

I had this issue last year where I couldn't update my graphics driver or it wouldn't show my native resolution as an option. I had to revert back to the one I was using (186.18 Nvidia) and it finally appeared.

So this time, after testing out some of the newest ones in the past year, I went back to 186.18 and for some reason, it is still missing.

mcdreamy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Thanks! I haven't actually tested this, but this looks reliable. Like I mentioned, I did the "custom resolution" part, but didn't change my timing standard to DMT (it was on Auto instead) - so I'm assuming that is the fix to the distortion.

I don't mean to appear as though I didn't do my research. I did (obviously not well enough :p), and found SEVERAL people experiencing similar problems with this specific monitor.

I may end up trying this later with the latest driver. I [temporarily] fixed it by finding an even OLDER driver than the OLD one I was already using that worked prior to the other night..