WHICH Nokia GPRS Phone? Information overload... :-(

Last response: in Technologies
May 14, 2004 12:06:04 AM

There are zillions of these, and I'm having a big problem sorting them
out. Perhaps some kind soul whose interests match mine will have sorted
this out and will give me the short answer:

Which Nokia GPRS phone to buy?

I have a 6310i, which has GPRS, Bluetooth, and works 900/1800/1900, so
works both in the USA and Europe, where I travel frequently. I recently
smacked its screen cracking the lens and dinging the LCD, although it
still works, for now.

So, ok, let's get a new one, but which?
+ I want Bluetooth for wireless synch with Laptop and PDA
+ I need GPRS/data for ordinary Internet access
+ It would be nice to have a camera, but not at the cost of bluetooth
+ A color screen would be nice
+ Voice Commands are good.

Has anyone sorted out this kind of mix? I don't really care about FM and
all the other stuff.

TIA, Andy
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 10:57:57 AM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:06:04 -0500, C. Andrews La Varre wrote
(in article <17Uoc.52268$Fl5.6516@okepread04>):

> I have a 6310i, which has GPRS, Bluetooth, and works 900/1800/1900, so
> works both in the USA and Europe, where I travel frequently. I recently
> smacked its screen cracking the lens and dinging the LCD, although it
> still works, for now.
>
> So, ok, let's get a new one, but which?
> + I want Bluetooth for wireless synch with Laptop and PDA
> + I need GPRS/data for ordinary Internet access
> + It would be nice to have a camera, but not at the cost of bluetooth
> + A color screen would be nice
> + Voice Commands are good.
>
> Has anyone sorted out this kind of mix? I don't really care about FM and
> all the other stuff.

I'd get a Symbian OS phone - now that I have one, I'd not get anything less.

That'd make it a minimum of something like a 3650.

-- Verne
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 5:51:20 PM

Still more to learn!

Thanks.

"Verne Arase" <VerneA@pobox.com> wrote in message > I'd get a Symbian OS
phone - now that I have one, I'd not get anything less.

> That'd make it a minimum of something like a 3650.
May 22, 2004 6:33:30 PM

C,

I have a Nokia 6600 and that does all you ask of it and more.

Check it out - but I think you would be happy with it.

>So, ok, let's get a new one, but which?

>+ I want Bluetooth for wireless synch with Laptop and PDA
Nokia 6600 has this and I have synch'd successfully to Outlook 2000
with Windows 2000 and Outlook XP with Windows XP using a USB Bluetooth
adaptor.

>+ I need GPRS/data for ordinary Internet access
Nokia 6600 is GPRS capable
It does e-mail
It does MMS
It does instant messaging ICQ / AOL etc - but this is on an expensive
75p a day fee in the UK.

>+ It would be nice to have a camera, but not at the cost of bluetooth
Nokia 6600 has camera and bluetooth

>+ A color screen would be nice
Nokia 6600 has a nice colour screen

>+ Voice Commands are good.
Nokia 6600 has this

You also get "Nokia Data Suite" with the phone so you can send your
data from PC to phone. EG you can send a word doc at the office to
the phone to store, then you can send it to your home pc to work on -
all via bluetooth if you like.

It comes in the UK with a 32 meg memory card, but you can buy larger
memory cards relatively inexpensively if you like.

Take a look at it anyway!

Casper.
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 12:01:28 AM

Casper thanks...

I think their info sheets are not complete... :-( I ended up ordering a
6820 before I saw your message, shipped today but has not arrived. If it
doesn't meet the spec I'll go back and review the 6600.

Thanks!

Cheers, Andy

no@way.com wrote:
> C,
>
> I have a Nokia 6600 and that does all you ask of it and more.
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 4:25:44 AM

No worries Andy,

BTW - put in a 256 meg MMC card the other day so it is really sweet
now :-)

Was a bit of a problem to set up the Media Messaging - but this was
down to the network operator and not the 'phone.

I am certainly pleased with the purchase.

Hope it works out for you with the 6820 - if not, then the 6600 is a
winner!

Casper.

!